Installing ST19171WC disk on Sparc 5

Post by SW » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 00:46:58

I have a used Sparc 5 with a 2GB IBM drive in it....just not enough.  So I
went to Ebay and found a 9GB SCA drive: Seagate "Barracuda" ST19171WC.

I installed the drive in the system and started with "boot -r".  After it
was done doing its thing, I ran a few commands from Sun's web site to make
devices (link), and ran format.  Format shows the drive as c0t1d0 with my
original boot disk still at c0t3d0, but it says "Drive type unknown".  If I
select that drive and attempt Auto-configure, I get "Auto configure failed".

I booted again and did a probe-scsi, and it sees the drive and displays the
manufacturer & model number and all of that....isn't that all it needs for
auto-config?

Well, I looked up the drive config on the web and told it how many
heads/cyl/spt, created a partition table, labelled, and formatted....and got
"format failed".  What am I doing wrong?  Guess it's been longer than I
thought since my last stint as a Solaris admin. ;)

SW

Installing ST19171WC disk on Sparc 5

Post by SW » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 01:37:26

Hmmm....well it looks like I have a bad disk.  I did manage to find a
format.dat for this drive, and format now returns:

Formatting...
Not ready error during format
ASC: 0x4    ASCQ: 0x0
failed

Growl.....oh well.

Quote:> I have a used Sparc 5 with a 2GB IBM drive in it....just not enough.  So I

Post by aryzh » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 02:30:27

> I have a used Sparc 5 with a 2GB IBM drive in it....just not enough.  So I
> went to Ebay and found a 9GB SCA drive: Seagate "Barracuda" ST19171WC.

> I installed the drive in the system and started with "boot -r".  After it
> was done doing its thing, I ran a few commands from Sun's web site to make
> devices (link), and ran format.  Format shows the drive as c0t1d0 with my
> original boot disk still at c0t3d0, but it says "Drive type unknown".  If I
> select that drive and attempt Auto-configure, I get "Auto configure failed".

> I booted again and did a probe-scsi, and it sees the drive and displays the
> manufacturer & model number and all of that....isn't that all it needs for
> auto-config?

> Well, I looked up the drive config on the web and told it how many
> heads/cyl/spt, created a partition table, labelled, and formatted....and got
> "format failed".  What am I doing wrong?  Guess it's been longer than I
> thought since my last stint as a Solaris admin. ;)

# uname -a
SunOS ss20 5.6 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20
# format
Searching for disks...done

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c0t1d0 <SUN9.0G cyl 4924 alt 2 hd 27 sec 133>

       1. c0t3d0 <SUN1.05 cyl 2036 alt 2 hd 14 sec 72>

Specify disk (enter its number):

See, I have  a very similar combination in my SS20,
which isn't too different from SS5. c0t1 is Seagate Barracuda, too.
All you should have needed was boot -r, and immediately after that
the disk must be visible and auto-configurable with "format"

I'd suggest not to mess with device links manually

Now, as it isn't auto-configuring, I can guess of following reasons:
 1. Lose contact at upper disk bay's SC connector
 2. Not enough current from power supply
 3. Weird jumper setting (check on Seagate site)
 4. Bad disk.

If you have a chance to boot from Solaris install CD, try to remove c0t3,
put 9gig disk alone into the lower bay, and

ok boot cdrom -s
# format

Good luck,
Andrei

Installing ST19171WC disk on Sparc 5

Post by Burkhard Kiese » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 17:30:03

You have to add the drive info in the file /etc/format.dat. You can get those
drive informations (if you don't have it already) with a tool called scsiinfo.

Burkhard

SW schrieb:

Quote:> I have a used Sparc 5 with a 2GB IBM drive in it....just not enough.  So I
> went to Ebay and found a 9GB SCA drive: Seagate "Barracuda" ST19171WC.

> I installed the drive in the system and started with "boot -r".  After it
> was done doing its thing, I ran a few commands from Sun's web site to make
> devices (link), and ran format.  Format shows the drive as c0t1d0 with my
> original boot disk still at c0t3d0, but it says "Drive type unknown".  If I
> select that drive and attempt Auto-configure, I get "Auto configure failed".

> I booted again and did a probe-scsi, and it sees the drive and displays the
> manufacturer & model number and all of that....isn't that all it needs for
> auto-config?

> Well, I looked up the drive config on the web and told it how many
> heads/cyl/spt, created a partition table, labelled, and formatted....and got
> "format failed".  What am I doing wrong?  Guess it's been longer than I
> thought since my last stint as a Solaris admin. ;)

> SW

1. Seagate ST19171WC on Sparc 5??

I've heard that Sun sold these 9GB drives with some Sparc 5's, so I hopped
out to Ebay and bought one.

The Sparc 5 has two SCA connectors for disk drives, and this drive doesn't
seem to fit.  It won't go in the bottom connector because the drive hits
against the top connector (it's taller than the 2GB drive that's in there
now).  It can plug into the top connector but then you can't close the
cover. :P

Is there an adapter of some kind that will allow me to plug it in the bottom
one somehow?

Alternatively, is there an external case for SCA drives that I can buy?
Where?

SW

2. Solaris 10 Vs Solaris 8&9 - Urgent

3. Moving disks between NetBSD/sparc and OpenBSD/sparc?

4. TapeStor tape drive problem

5. Faulty download file for Solaris 9 12/03 Sparc Install Disk

6. PCPARTNER MB and SoundBlaster

7. Help, Booting Sparc 20 from Sparc Disk Array via fiber link

8. Philips CDD-521 Support in Slackware 2.0.0?

9. linux for sparc install disks

10. (Possibly dumb) Q: Move disks from OpenBSD-2.3/sparc to NetBSD-1.5/sparc ?

11. Install 3rd party SCSI DISK ARRAY to SPARC(OS 5.4), How to?

12. hard disk error's while installing v6.2 on Sun Sparc 2

13. Will ST19171WC work with RSM 214?