I can't see TCP/IP addresses outside the local network.

I can't see TCP/IP addresses outside the local network.

Post by Yaakov Yehud » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I cannot see any Internet addresses outside of our local network.  I
know this is simple and I have done it before... but what am I missing?

I am using a local NT DNS server.

Regards, Ya'akov

I can't see TCP/IP addresses outside the local network.

Post by Randy Jon » Sun, 12 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I cannot see any Internet addresses outside of our local network.  I
> know this is simple and I have done it before... but what am I missing?

> I am using a local NT DNS server.

> Regards, Ya'akov

Do you have /etc/resolv.conf ?
Do you have /etc/defaultrouter ?
Do you have the "hosts" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf configured to look at dns ?

----------------------------------
Randy Jones

----------------------------------

1. Can't ping hosts outside of local network

I'm in the process of installing Solaris 2.6 on a Sun box and I believe
that all is setup correctly (obviously it's not). However, I am unable
to ping machines outside of our local network. The NIC shows that it
has the correct IP address with a netmask of 255.255.255.0. I've also
assigned a default router using:

route add default [ipaddr]

where ipaddr is the router IP address

This router path shows up correctly with a netstat -nr

I'm using DNS and have updated the nsswitch.conf and added a
resolv.conf to the /etc/ directory.

Is there anything else that I'm missing for this to work--would
creating an ICMP to tcp_raw entry in the identd.conf file? Thanks--
looking for any enlightenment!

Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Safe temp files in a shell script

3. Only ping to the ip outside outside our internal network under Redhat7.1

4. help, eth0: Runt packet!

5. can't FTP from outside of local network...

6. RedHat 5.0 on HP NetServer E45

7. can't fetchmail from outside the local network

8. yacc and yy.tab.h

9. Why ip-fw reject for IP's outside node's netmask?

10. I NEED A LOCAL IP CHECKER TO SEND THE IP TO AN OUTSIDE ACCOUNT!

11. Can't see the outside network, but outside can see in - problem.

12. I'll say it's a FAQ - Local IP address

13. TCP/IP local port and address.