page outs in Solaris 7

Post by Rocke Robertso » Fri, 18 May 2001 08:53:49

Does the Solaris kernel page out pages if they are simply inactive after
a certain amount of time? Or does there have to be a shortage of memory
for a page to be paged out ?

This question is based on an *in house* discussion that none of us could
answer.

TIA

Rocke Robertson
PWGSC-GTIS-CPS
Voice (613) 748-4604
Fax   (613) 748-4843

page outs in Solaris 7

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 17 May 2001 20:57:12

>Does the Solaris kernel page out pages if they are simply inactive after
>a certain amount of time? Or does there have to be a shortage of memory
>for a page to be paged out ?

There has to be a shortage of memory.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

page outs in Solaris 7

Post by Brian Steven » Thu, 17 May 2001 23:48:51

> Does the Solaris kernel page out pages if they are simply inactive after
> a certain amount of time? Or does there have to be a shortage of memory
> for a page to be paged out ?

Only when there's a "shortage" of memory (as defined by the
paging daemon).

Brian

  Brian Stevens                 STEVENS.COM, Inc.

        Systems Administration Consultant

1. More page outs than page ins?

Hi,

Would anyone be kind enough to explain to me why systems usually have
more page-outs than page-ins? It has got me stumped for quite some
time. I would think that if 100mb is paged out from memory to disk,
then similarly 100mb should be paged-in back from disk to physical
memory?

Or is my understand of paging-in and paging-out wrong? i.e Page-outs
occur when a page is pushed from main memory to the paging space due
to a variety of reasons (lack of physical memory being one of them)
while page-ins' occur when there is free physical memory and these
pages are pushed back from disk back to the physical memory.

TIA!

2. Packeteer PacketShaper

3. Unix Libraries Ins/Outs

4. Help getting started with linux....

5. Removing banner pages from print outs

6. Samba win95/98 over the internet

7. not printing last page of long print outs.

8. SSA Spare Tool

9. Page outs with LOTSA memory: why?

10. Solaris 7 NFS black-outs

11. Apache 1.3.9 time outs don't work on SPARC Solaris

12. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

13. Code fragments/plug-ins for solaris?