Getting 115.2 Kbps Thru SPARC 20 Serial Port

Getting 115.2 Kbps Thru SPARC 20 Serial Port

Post by John W. Saalwaecht » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 03:46:04

I have a 28.8Kbps modem attached to a SPARC 20 running Solaris 2.3.
I have Solaris PPP up and running at 38400 baud, but I'd like to get
the 115.2Kbps that the modem can do with compression.

As far as I can tell, however, 38400 is the maximum baud I can set
on the workstation's serial port.  Does anyone know how to get the
serial port speed up to 115200?

 http://www.access.digex.net/~saalwaec/
 PGP public key available: finger, home page, keyserver

Getting 115.2 Kbps Thru SPARC 20 Serial Port

Post by Emil Naepfle » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 23:59:09

Quote:>As far as I can tell, however, 38400 is the maximum baud I can set
>on the workstation's serial port.  Does anyone know how to get the
>serial port speed up to 115200?

For this purpose we have bought a SBUS-Card which supports 4 serial
lines at up to 115,200 bps. The card and the driver software is
from Magma. They provide a utility for setting the speed and
other interface parameters permanently.

The phone number of MAGMA as listed on the manual is 619.457.0750.

Emil Naepflein

Post by Mark C » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 17:53:36

Quote:>As far as I can tell, however, 38400 is the maximum baud I can set
>on the workstation's serial port.  Does anyone know how to get the
>serial port speed up to 115200?

The ports only work to 38k4 as the hardware does not have any
large buffering - each character on the serial port generates an
interrupt.  115k2 of these interrupts every second causes problems
for the CPU!

You can get various Sbus card's with buffered serial ports that can
run at faster speeds.  We are looking at the Aurora 400SX (about $800 :-( )
which can run 4 serial ports at 115k2
Mark
--
Mark J Cox ---------------------- URL:http://www.eia.brad.ac.uk/mark.html
University of Bradford, UK --------------- tel +44.1274.384070/fax 391333

Post by Charl » Mon, 13 Feb 1995 12:29:27

: You can get various Sbus card's with buffered serial ports that can
: run at faster speeds.  We are looking at the Aurora 400SX (about $800 :-( )
: which can run 4 serial ports at 115k2

I would stay far, far away from Aurora.  We have a 4 port ( 400S ) in a
machine.  I called Aurora to get Solaris 2.x drivers for the card.
First I was told that they just don't give out drivers, you have to be
on a $120/year maint. contract in order to get drivers.  They also wanted
the serial number off of the board to be sure it could even be used with
2.x...huh???!?!? I said.  They told me there is a hardware design problem
with some of the older 400S boards that make them unusable with 2.x.
As it turns out, ours is unusable.  However, they will happily sell us
a new board for $495, then give us a $100 credit for our old board.
Oh, how thoughtful of them!  Considering I can also buy the board outright
from resellers for $435.

Then the Net directed me to another company called Magma in San Diego.
They make a 4 port card that'll do 115Kbs sustained on one port for $395,
or a DMA version that'll do 128Kbps sustained on all 4 for $625.
All cards have 30 day MBG, 3 year warranty, and free lifetime tech support and
driver updates.

While talking to the sales guy at Magma, the subject of Aurora came up.
As it turns out, Magma was the original designer of Aurora's 400S card.
So I asked him what this BS was about the board not working with Solaris
2.4.  He didn't know and went and brought one of their engineers into the
room.  The engineer said there was no reason why the older 400S couldn't
be supported under 2.4.  The only thing it would need is a PROM update.

So, apparently Aurora is either very stupid, or is trying to rip people off.
I have also heard other bad reports about Aurora, so I don't think it's
just Magma trying to beat them up.

--
        Harnad describes the status of Usenet aptly:
                a communication medium with revolutionary intellectual

1. Solaris 2.5: IPC gets faster, Sparc 20 gets slower?

Hi,

I have installed Solaris 2.5 on two machines: an IPC and a Sparc 20
with 2 50MHz processors.  The IPC has 36 MB of memory and the Sparc 20
32 MB.  The latter is being upgraded to 64 MB.

Currently, though, I notice a pretty dramatic improvement in speed
over SunOS 4.x on the IPC.  The Sparc 20, however, seems to have
thrown an anchor into the seabed.  There seems to be a lot of disk
swapping even though there is only one user.

Any ideas where to start?  When there is more than one user (there is
a xterminal hooked up to it) and a user running X on console, I can
sort of understand the swapping, but it did not do this under 4.x.

Another quick question.  A while ago I asked about how swapping work
under 4.x.  I was told that 4.x swapping allocated space everytime you
started a program, regardless of whether it was needed.  I was also
told that 5.x didn't do this, only when it was actually needed.
Anybody care to clarify this for me?

Thanks,

Kevin
--
Kevin McFadden - Dept of Physics & Astronomy - University of Rochester

"It's day 5 up here, and I am sitting in a cloud.  I guess the rest of the
world calls it fog, but at 9,000 ft it is a cloud." - Chris Mason

2. Wnen to use newline?

3. port below the parallel port on the Sparc 20

4. My HDD crashed, now what?

5. Realvideo plugin for netscape?

6. Serial Port Higher than 115.200 bps

7. Linux Machine as Proxy Server

8. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

9. Sparc 20 w/ b&w cg or serial term?

10. Questions about getting 24bit on a Sparc 20.

11. barcode reader on SPARC 20 - serial or keyboard?

12. Problems Getting Printer to Work After Upgrade to Solaris 2.5 on a Sparc 20