how to find whether my HD is good or bad

how to find whether my HD is good or bad

Post by gvelmuru.. » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:36:46

Hello,

How can I find whether my Hard Disk is good or bad.

Thanks,

Velmurugan G

Post by Bernd Hau » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:56:22

> How can I find whether my Hard Disk is good or bad.

It's eeeeeeeevil.

Use the analyze tools in format(1M) (esp IDE disks), extract the grown
defects in format (SCSI/FC), or, for FS "bad", use fsck(1M).

Read the manpages for those and also:

KTHX?

lg, Bernd
--
When emailing me, excuse my annoing spamfilter - it works for me.

how to find whether my HD is good or bad

Post by gvelmuru.. » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 01:16:38

Thanks for your reply Bernd.  I heard some command named "healthcheck",
but I dont know the exact command name, that will show the status of
HD.

Post by Eric Enrigh » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 04:26:24

> Thanks for your reply Bernd.  I heard some command named "healthcheck",
> but I dont know the exact command name, that will show the status of
> HD.

Are you perhaps thinking of drives with SMART capability?
I have heard that http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/ does
work to some degree on Solaris.

Eric

Post by Jorgen Moquis » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:55:27

>>Thanks for your reply Bernd.  I heard some command named "healthcheck",
>>but I dont know the exact command name, that will show the status of
>>HD.

> Are you perhaps thinking of drives with SMART capability?
> I have heard that http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/ does
> work to some degree on Solaris.

> Eric

works very well, scsi & ide on sparcs, x86 scsi only.
as i know.
/j?rgen

how to find whether my HD is good or bad

Post by gvelmuru.. » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:43:31

Thank you all. SMART tool is really superb. It is showing more
information than "healthcheck" command in Solaris, but I didnt get what
is the name of that Solaris command.

Thanks,
Velmurugan G

Post by Jorgen Moquis » Sun, 25 Sep 2005 04:22:15

> Thank you all. SMART tool is really superb. It is showing more
> information than "healthcheck" command in Solaris, but I didnt get what
> is the name of that Solaris command.

> Thanks,
> Velmurugan G

dont know iostat -E shows Predictive info on my cd (X86)
/J?rgen

$ iostat -E
sd0       Soft Errors: 282 Hard Errors: 16 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor:          Product: DVD+RW RW5240    Revision: 1.08 Serial No:
Size: 0.00GB <0 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 11 No Device: 5 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 282 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

1. : HD with a few bad sectors--good enough for Linux?

I've a 1.2 GB WD Caviar drive that NT 4.0 CHKDSK claims has 4 KB in bad
sectors.  I think it originally had 0 KB in bad sectors.

1)  How does Linux deal with bad sectors and their detection?

2)  Will the disk with these things cause me problems in the future?

3)  Is a 1.2 GB disk really big enough for a (RedHat) Linux system?
When I use Win NT to add up the bytes in the CDs of the RedHat
installation, the binary CD ~700 MB, the source ~ 300 MB, and the demo
disk ~ 140 MB.  Will I use even as much as 700 MB in a "everything"
install?

Thanks in advance,
Jerome.

2. http 2 https with apache

3. bad partition on good disk won't mount or fsck (bad magic number/superblock)

4. Modem configuration problem (mgetty) in Linux

5. How can I tell whether I am logging in on console inside .login?

6. what to do when you get a new machine

7. Determining whether I am using shared text segments under SVR4

8. Screen crash after running X.

9. does anyone know a good way to detect whether or no a duplicate process is running?

10. Finding out if there are bad blocks in the bad blocks list

11. MKDEV HD: /usr/lib/sh/hd NOT FOUND

12. Finding whether a patch is installed

13. How to find whether a system is being compromised?