Netscape browser for Solaris 2.4 x86?

Post by John Martine » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

Was wondering if there will ever be one. I think it would be cool to have
and don't think it would be too hard to compile for, now that the SPARC and
x86 have been cut from the same cloth.

-john
--

Quote:>< John Martinez, Technical Services          BATS, Inc.                     <>

Quote:>< UNIX SysAdmin, Internet, WWW Development   Santa Clara, CA  95051         <>

<> http://www.bats.com/bats                   (408)653-0200                  ><

Post by Dan Donov » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

>Was wondering if there will ever be one. I think it would be cool to have
>and don't think it would be too hard to compile for, now that the SPARC and
>x86 have been cut from the same cloth.

>-john
>--
>>< John Martinez, Technical Services          BATS, Inc.                     <>

>>< UNIX SysAdmin, Internet, WWW Development   Santa Clara, CA  95051         <>
><> http://www.bats.com/bats                   (408)653-0200                  ><

Maybe you'd prefer HotJava instead.  :-)

Post by Bil » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

: >Was wondering if there will ever be one. I think it would be cool to have
: >and don't think it would be too hard to compile for, now that the SPARC and
: >x86 have been cut from the same cloth.
: >

: Maybe you'd prefer HotJava instead.  :-)

From what I've heard, the code is so non-portable, that the SPARC version
doesn't even compile on x86.  I'm hoping it's just a rumor, because I'd really
like to be able to run it at home.  What is the status of HotJava running on
Intel?

-bill

--

My opinions, not OIT's. "It's kind of fun to do the impossible" -- Walt Disney
What does the BSD sysadmin have to say to the SYSV sysadmin?

Post by Gary Thomps » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

>Was wondering if there will ever be one. I think it would be cool to have
>and don't think it would be too hard to compile for, now that the SPARC and
>x86 have been cut from the same cloth.

I agree!  After using Netscape on my Sparc at work, it's difficult to
live with Mosaic at home on a slow link where Netscape would *really*
shine.

You're absolutely right -- it should be a very straightforward port,
especially for the hot-shots they have working there.  Does anyone know
the best Netscape person to email concerning this?

Perhaps Sun could provide them some resources (can't imagine they'd need
much) and encouragement to do the port as well.

        Gary
--

                #include <std/disclaimer.h>

Netscape browser for Solaris 2.4 x86?

Post by Dan Donov » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

>: >Was wondering if there will ever be one. I think it would be cool to have
>: >and don't think it would be too hard to compile for, now that the SPARC and
>: >x86 have been cut from the same cloth.
>: >

>: Maybe you'd prefer HotJava instead.  :-)

>From what I've heard, the code is so non-portable, that the SPARC version
>doesn't even compile on x86.  I'm hoping it's just a rumor, because I'd really
>like to be able to run it at home.  What is the status of HotJava running on
>Intel?

>-bill

There is a low-level, platform specific component, but then moving it to Windows and
Mac probably required a lot more work.  Once the Java runtime works, HotJava works,
as ALL of HotJava is written in Java.

A reliable source led me to believe that it's coming along (working).  Though
it isn't ready for beta yet.  Stay tuned for news from SunWorld/SNDC
next week.  I hope the audience will hear lots of interesting anecdotes about
the product's lineage.

dd

Post by Jason R. Mastal » Sun, 21 May 1995 04:00:00

> Was wondering if there will ever be one. I think it would be cool to have
> and don't think it would be too hard to compile for, now that the SPARC and
> x86 have been cut from the same cloth.

I have exchanged e-mail with an MCOM employee about the issue, and
here was his suggestion:

______

submit this to our bug feedback form as a feature request.

http://www.netscape.com/feedback/index.html

______

"This" meaning my suggestion that they port their Netscape Navigator
to Solaris 2.4x86.

I offer this to anyone who is interested in ever using Netscape on
Solaris2.4x86.  The more feedback they get from users, the more likely
they are to implement.

Cheers,

Jason Mastaler

Post by Kevin Martine » Sun, 21 May 1995 04:00:00

>Perhaps Sun could provide them some resources (can't imagine they'd need
>much) and encouragement to do the port as well.

I'll still volunteer my development system to help The Netscape folks port
Navigator to the x86 environment. I've sent email concerning this on
several occasions. I figured they might not have such a system available.
Got some answers regarding other things but silence on Solaris x86,  I
guess they are really busy.........
 Kevin Martinez                 |           Fry's Electronics: Where

Netscape browser for Solaris 2.4 x86?

Post by John Martine » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

[My stuff deleted]
% Maybe you'd prefer HotJava instead.  :-)

That too!

-john
--

Quote:>< John Martinez, Technical Services          BATS, Inc.                     <>

Quote:>< UNIX SysAdmin, Internet, WWW Development   Santa Clara, CA  95051         <>

<> http://www.bats.com/bats                   (408)653-0200                  ><

1. WWW browsers and Solaris 2.4 X86

I have mosaic working but I would like 1) Hot Java, or failing that
2) netscape, is either of these available for soalris x86?

James

--
No dinosaurs please we're goffik!  http://cgrass.lut.ac.uk/~cgjwh

So all I wanted in the end, was world domination, and a whole lot of money
to spend.  - New Model Army.

Lifes a Joke and Deaths the End, Live in Misery - Net.Goth

2. HeLP i DoN'T KNoW HoW To iNSTaLL KDe

3. WWW browser for Solaris 2.4 X86

4. Redhat 6.2 Installation

5. WWW browser needed for Solaris x86 2.4

6. SLIP-Breaking Conn.

7. WWW browser for solaris 2.4 X86

8. dos partition only root writable

9. Netscape for Solaris x86 2.4

10. Netscape for Solaris 2.4 for x86

11. Netscape for Solaris 2.4 on X86

12. Help w/ running Netscape on solaris x86 2.4

13. Still nothing on Netscape for Solaris 2.4 x86