Problem with Oracle 7.3.3.3 on Solaris 2.6

Problem with Oracle 7.3.3.3 on Solaris 2.6

Post by Thor-Ivar Skofsru » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

The problem is that server manager core dumps or
just end up* on database startup on Solaris
2.6. Server manager gives no output, but the
background prosesses are started. It's the same
problem with startup nomount. If I reboot the
server, everything is working just fine, and I am
able to start up several instances. But when the
server has been running for a couple of days,and I
try to stop and start an instance, or start up a
new instance, the problem is back. I have tried
both Oracle 7.3.3 and 7.3.3.3 on two different
servers. We have both these versions of Oracle
running on other servers with Solaris 2.5.1, so it
seems as Solaris 2.6 is causing the problems. This
only happens if the SGA gets bigger than approx.
50 MB. The server has 512 MB of physical memory.

Any ideas what is causing the problems and how to
fix them would be appreciated?

Does anyone successfully run Oracle 7.3 on Solaris 2.6?

---
Regards
Thor-Ivar Skofsrud
Telenor Nextel AS

Problem with Oracle 7.3.3.3 on Solaris 2.6

Post by Emmanuel R. Saint-Louber » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

We have upgraded from 2.5.1 to 2.6 and seen problems with Oracle 7.3.3
and the SGA. I went on the Oracle site and found out that Oracle
recommand re-linking all executables after the upgrade to 2.6
Run orainst, choose administrative tasks and at some point it will offer
you to relink your executables, got for it!
This solved all of the problems that we have observed, I hope it will
solve yours.

If you find other vaulable info/tips please shared them with me (at the
-mail addres below).

Thanks,

   Tumbleweed Software Corp.       http://www.veryComputer.com/
   2010 Broadway                            Tel 650-569-3676
   Redwood City, CA 94063                   Fax 650-369-7197

> The problem is that server manager core dumps or
> just end up* on database startup on Solaris
> 2.6. Server manager gives no output, but the
> background prosesses are started. It's the same
> problem with startup nomount. If I reboot the
> server, everything is working just fine, and I am
> able to start up several instances. But when the
> server has been running for a couple of days,and I
> try to stop and start an instance, or start up a
> new instance, the problem is back. I have tried
> both Oracle 7.3.3 and 7.3.3.3 on two different
> servers. We have both these versions of Oracle
> running on other servers with Solaris 2.5.1, so it
> seems as Solaris 2.6 is causing the problems. This
> only happens if the SGA gets bigger than approx.
> 50 MB. The server has 512 MB of physical memory.

> Any ideas what is causing the problems and how to
> fix them would be appreciated?

> Does anyone successfully run Oracle 7.3 on Solaris 2.6?

> ---
> Regards
> Thor-Ivar Skofsrud
> Telenor Nextel AS

1. load abg problems: Solaris 2.6, OWS 3.0.18.0, Oracle RDBMS 7.3.2.3

Here's the scenario...

We use OWS 3.0.18.0 which talks to an Oracle database (7.3.2.3).  The
webservers run (and have run) on Solaris 2.6.

On the Solaris 2.5.1 RDBMS machine, everything is fine.  This machine is
a UE3000 with 6 338Mhz processors and about 3GB of RAM.  Load average is
consistently 3-5.

On the Solaris 2.6 test RDBMS machine, we have encountered load avg.
problems.  This machine is a UE4500 with 10 400Mhz processors and 4GB of
RAM.  Its load avg. is consistently 4-7 or so.

Question #1: Why is the load higher on the UE4500?  If Solaris counts
*running* processes (as opposed to "ready to run") as part of the load
avg., then I can probably understand it.  Unfortunately, nobody at Sun
has been able to tell me this for sure.

Problem/Question #2: Whenever we restart a webserver, the load avg. on
the RDBMS server shoots up usually to 15 or 20... occasionally as high
as 50, 60 or even 100.  We have determined that it shoots up whenever
the wrb processes are killed on the webserver.  Yes, we manually kill
them because owsctl stop doesn't work well enough.  But we have always
killed them this way, even on the Solaris 2.5.1 box that behaves fine.
It seems like when the wrb processes go away on the webserver, our
Oracle instance sees this and has to clean up the shadow processes.
When it does this, several (as many as 35 or more) processes get put
into the run queue at once causing the load to shoot up.  Also, when
logged onto the machine while this happens, I notice that it sort of
locks up for about 5 seconds just before the load shoots up.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Convert outlook.pst to Linux

3. : Solaris 2.6, VXFS, Volume Manger (vmsa), and Oracle/Sybase/Informix - Performance problems?

4. What breaks when NIS+ & DNS domain names are different

5. Solaris 2.6 / oracle 8.0.5

6. Force password change

7. Does Oracle 9i run on Solaris 2.6?

8. dlfcn.h

9. Connect to Oracle 8i using C on Solaris 2.6

10. Solaris 2.6 & direct I/O for Oracle?

11. Solaris 2.6, Oracle 8.0.4, DBTools 3.1.4

12. Kernel configuration on Solaris 2.6 with ORACLE 8.0.4

13. Backup of Oracle on Solaris 2.6