Wierd login problem

Post by William Dyk » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Firsly, apologies to anyone who's already seen this on alt.solaris.x86.

Having recently installed Solaris 2.6 x86 on my machine at work, I'm
having problems
with adding new users, in that they don't get execute permissions. If
the line

will:x:1001:102::/users/will:

in /etc/passwd has a corresponding /etc/shadow entry (which it does),
then I get the
following problem:

login: will
Password:
Last login: Thu Jan 14 14:37:58 from *.mvc.mcc.ac
-sh: /usr/sbin/quota: cannot execute
-sh: /bin/cat: cannot execute
-sh: /bin/mail: cannot execute
$ who
who: execute permission denied
$ ls
ls: execute permission denied

If I use other shells (e.g. /bin/csh or whatever) then I get the No
Shell message (because
the shell cannot be executed, it would seem fair to assume, rather than
because it doesn't
exist - it does)

It seems that no program can be executed by user will (or any other new
user). Thankfully
root _can_ run programs!

Any ideas?

William*

--

Manchester Visualization Centre         W: www.man.ac.uk/MVC/students/will
Manchester Computing

Wierd login problem

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Firsly, apologies to anyone who's already seen this on alt.solaris.x86.
>Having recently installed Solaris 2.6 x86 on my machine at work, I'm
>having problems
>with adding new users, in that they don't get execute permissions. If
>the line
>will:x:1001:102::/users/will:
>in /etc/passwd has a corresponding /etc/shadow entry (which it does),
>then I get the
>following problem:
>login: will
>Password:
>Last login: Thu Jan 14 14:37:58 from *.mvc.mcc.ac
>-sh: /usr/sbin/quota: cannot execute
>-sh: /bin/cat: cannot execute
>-sh: /bin/mail: cannot execute
>$ who
>who: execute permission denied
>$ ls
>ls: execute permission denied
>If I use other shells (e.g. /bin/csh or whatever) then I get the No
>Shell message (because
>the shell cannot be executed, it would seem fair to assume, rather than
>because it doesn't
>exist - it does)

Check the permissions on /, /usr and /bin.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Wierd login problem

Post by William Dyk » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> [[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]

> >Having recently installed Solaris 2.6 x86 on my machine at work, I'm
> >having problems
> >with adding new users, in that they don't get execute permissions. If
> >the line

> >will:x:1001:102::/users/will:

> >in /etc/passwd has a corresponding /etc/shadow entry (which it does),
> >then I get the
> >following problem:

> >login: will
> >Password:
> >Last login: Thu Jan 14 14:37:58 from *.mvc.mcc.ac
> >-sh: /usr/sbin/quota: cannot execute

<snip> other stuff that won't execute

Quote:

> >If I use other shells (e.g. /bin/csh or whatever) then I get the No
> >Shell message (because
> >the shell cannot be executed, it would seem fair to assume, rather than
> >because it doesn't
> >exist - it does)

> Check the permissions on /, /usr and /bin.

> Casper

Cheers, Casper,
Don't know how I managed to miss that. Checked permissions on the
binaries, obviously, but didn't check the permissions on /usr

Permissions were 700, with owner 94 and group 92 (neither of which
exist as valid uid/gid). I believe it's a problem from installing some
piece of software, wish I knew which.

Thanks again,
William*

1. wierd login problem

All of a sudden, login stopped working on my system.  It is trying to
'cd' to a directory who's name is taken out of the last line in my
passwd file.  It generates the following error: (or something like it)

Feb 21 00:13:27 bjt105 login[1042]: unable to cd to
Thmpson,508 Beaver Hall' for user '

The passwd file looks fine, tho. Right number of field for each user.
Now, I can get in by first typing in a bad userid/passwd.  THEN login
lets the next login through correctly.  wierd.
I only did one 'bad' thing that I can think of before this started
happening ... I used an editor to erase the 'sync' user from passwd
instead of doing userdel.  I then userdel'd sync.
Anyone have ideas of what's going on here, and how I can fix login?

On an unrelated note, I deleted my account 'bernie' with userdel,
then recreated the account.  I chmod -R /home/bernie and
/usr/spool/mail/bernie. But .. I can't read mail -- I get an
Can't open folder '/usr/spool/mail/' for reading!
error trying to use mail (elm).  How can I get my mail back?

Thanks in advance for helping this poor idiot! ;)

--
Bernie Thompson -- Internet connected with Linux via PSU dorm ethernet
                   PSU Linux WWW: http://bjt105.rh.psu.edu/www.html

2. Repeated directories under USR

3. Wierd login problem -RH 5.1

4. df doesn't take -i, what's the alternative?

5. wierd login problem

6. RH Linux 5.2 and an Aztech 2320

7. Wierd login problem caused by bogus /etc/mnttab entries

8. content of jmp_buf: who knows?

9. Wierd Linux User Login problem

10. WIERD - Telnet: 75 second delays getting login and output; ftp not operable

11. wierd console login...

12. Wierd Laptop problem (not X problem)

13. Login problem with root, but can successfully login with other user to access CDE