windows 2000 box and sun ultra 1 box with solaris 8

windows 2000 box and sun ultra 1 box with solaris 8

Post by andy » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 06:31:32

Hi group
Can anyone help?

I have a windows2000 box and a Sun Ultra 1 box with Solaris 8 on it. I need
to be able to get stuff to and from both machines.
I assume I need to use Samba on the Solaris box, but I don't have a cd-rom
on it.
Both machines are hooked into a hub, so how can I get samba on to it (I have
it on my win2000 desktop)

can I ftp? or is there a better way?

Post by Anthony Mandi » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 06:34:19

> I have a windows2000 box and a Sun Ultra 1 box with Solaris 8 on it. I need
> to be able to get stuff to and from both machines.

        ftp?

Quote:> I assume I need to use Samba on the Solaris box, but I don't have a cd-rom
> on it.

        You don't need a CDROM to use SAMBA.

Quote:> Both machines are hooked into a hub, so how can I get samba on to it (I have
> it on my win2000 desktop)

> can I ftp? or is there a better way?

        Yeah, ftp to start. I think Microsloth have some sort of Unix
        service stuff too. I don't know what it does.

-am     ? 2002

Post by Scott Taylo » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:52:05

Quote:> > Both machines are hooked into a hub, so how can I get samba on to it (I
have
> > it on my win2000 desktop)

> > can I ftp? or is there a better way?

> Yeah, ftp to start. I think Microsloth have some sort of Unix
> service stuff too. I don't know what it does.

Services for UNIX 3.0 by M$ exists, but is not helpful in this case, at
least not that I have found.  M$ seems to only make tools that help you (or
make you think you want to) `migrate' to M$.

FTP is the easiest way to send a few files back and forth, but if you want a
more robust solution, then make a share on your 2000 box and use Samba on
the Solaris box to mount it.

-S. Taylor
MCSE/MCSA

windows 2000 box and sun ultra 1 box with solaris 8

Post by Dan » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 02:04:41

Quote:> Hi group
> Can anyone help?

> I have a windows2000 box and a Sun Ultra 1 box with Solaris 8 on it. I
need
> to be able to get stuff to and from both machines.
> I assume I need to use Samba on the Solaris box, but I don't have a cd-rom
> on it.
> Both machines are hooked into a hub, so how can I get samba on to it (I
have
> it on my win2000 desktop)

> can I ftp? or is there a better way?

Just some FYI's on samba.  The only reason I can guess you mentioned the CD
is you think you need it to load samba.  As far as I know, samba is not on
any Solaris distribution CD's.  Check out sunfreeware.com or the samba site
(I want to say samba.org, but not sure).  Download it to the Windows box and
ftp to the Sun box.

Good luck!

Post by Kevin R. Pace » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:39:27

> > > Both machines are hooked into a hub, so how can I get samba on to it (I
> have
> > > it on my win2000 desktop)

> > > can I ftp? or is there a better way?

> > Yeah, ftp to start. I think Microsloth have some sort of Unix
> > service stuff too. I don't know what it does.

> Services for UNIX 3.0 by M$ exists, but is not helpful in this case, at
> least not that I have found.  M$ seems to only make tools that help you (or
> make you think you want to) `migrate' to M$.

> FTP is the easiest way to send a few files back and forth, but if you want a
> more robust solution,
>then make a share on your 2000 box and use Samba on
> the Solaris box to mount it.

Only on Linux does smb support mounting a CIFS filesystem.  Create the
share on the Sol box and access it from 2k.
-krp

Quote:> Taylor