BSD/Solaris filesystem compatibility?

Post by Timothy J. L » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Assuming the same hardware, can BSD (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD)
read Solaris 2 UFS filesystems, and can Solaris 2 read BSD FFS
filesystems?  (Assume no ccd or DiskSuite stuff.)

BSD/Solaris filesystem compatibility?

Post by Dom Mitchel » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Assuming the same hardware, can BSD (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD)
> read Solaris 2 UFS filesystems, and can Solaris 2 read BSD FFS
> filesystems?  (Assume no ccd or DiskSuite stuff.)

No.  They have differing byte orders.
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator
"Xerox studies suggest that most people print out electronic mail

Post by Christoph Badu » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Assuming the same hardware, can BSD (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD)
>read Solaris 2 UFS filesystems, and can Solaris 2 read BSD FFS
>filesystems?  (Assume no ccd or DiskSuite stuff.)

Up to version 1.3 NetBSD can read and write Solaris 2 UFS filesystems on
big endian machines.  Post-1.3 Netbsd (i.e -current) can deal with them
on little endian machines too.

NetBSD (and the oder free BSDs) use the 4.4BSD file system format by default
which Solaris does not understand.  However, there's an option to newfs(8)
to create the file system in 4.3BSD format which Solaris should understand.

--
Christoph Badura
Verlag O'Reilly

BSD/Solaris filesystem compatibility?

Post by Timothy J. L » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

|NetBSD (and the oder free BSDs) use the 4.4BSD file system format by default
|which Solaris does not understand.  However, there's an option to newfs(8)
|to create the file system in 4.3BSD format which Solaris should understand.

What other differences are there between 4.4BSD and 4.3BSD FFS formats?
I.e. does using the 4.3BSD FFS impose some sort of limits on filesystem
size, speed, etc.?

BSD/Solaris filesystem compatibility?

Post by Christoph Badu » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>What other differences are there between 4.4BSD and 4.3BSD FFS formats?
>I.e. does using the 4.3BSD FFS impose some sort of limits on filesystem
>size, speed, etc.?

The major difference is that 4.4BSD stores the file type in the directory
entry.  There may be other differences which I don't recall off hand.

--
Christoph Badura
Verlag O'Reilly

BSD/Solaris filesystem compatibility?

Post by Matt Dill » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

:>
:>>What other differences are there between 4.4BSD and 4.3BSD FFS formats?
:>>I.e. does using the 4.3BSD FFS impose some sort of limits on filesystem
:>>size, speed, etc.?
:>
:>The major difference is that 4.4BSD stores the file type in the directory
:>entry.  There may be other differences which I don't recall off hand.
:>
:>--
:>Christoph Badura
:>Verlag O'Reilly

    Did 4.3 have a 64 bit file size field in the inode?  Anybody know?

                                                -Matt

--
    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications

Post by Thor Lancelot Sim » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>> Assuming the same hardware, can BSD (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD)
>> read Solaris 2 UFS filesystems, and can Solaris 2 read BSD FFS
>> filesystems?  (Assume no ccd or DiskSuite stuff.)

>No.  They have differing byte orders.

100% wrong, and at least two reasons at once:

"Assuming the same hardware, can BSD..."

Solaris on my x86 box uses the same (LSB-first) file system byte order as
NetBSD.

NetBSD on my SPARC uses the same (MSB-first) file system byte order as
Solaris.

NetBSD-current can read and write FFS filesytems with *either* byte order
on any hardware, so even if you were right about a byte order difference,
you'd still be wrong.

Amusingly enough, NeXT uses a MSB-first filesystem on all of their platforms.
Until recently, that would have meant we couldn't read NeXT "FFS" filesystems
on the x86 -- but, as it turns out, we still can't read them, because NeXT
threw several additional fields into the *middle* of the superblock and
cylinder group data structures for no good reason that I ccan see.

--

        "And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"

Post by Christos Zoul » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>>> Assuming the same hardware, can BSD (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD)
>>> read Solaris 2 UFS filesystems, and can Solaris 2 read BSD FFS
>>> filesystems?  (Assume no ccd or DiskSuite stuff.)

Please be careful... If you are using acl's on solaris and you fsck or
mount the filesystem under NetBSD it'll trash them.

christos

Post by Aaro Koskin » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>     Did 4.3 have a 64 bit file size field in the inode?  Anybody know?

Yes, although the system calls didn't support large files.

A quote from the book "The Design & Implementation of the 4.4BSD
Operating System" by McKusick et al: "When the file system was
rewritten in 4.2BSD, the inodes were defined to allow a 64-bit file
sizes. However, the interface to the filesystem was still limited to
31-bit sizes. With the advent of ever-larger disks, the developers
decided to expand the 4.4BSD interface to allow larger files."
--
Aaro Koskinen .......................................... http://www.iki.fi/aaro

Post by Jerry Alexandrat » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

:
:>What other differences are there between 4.4BSD and 4.3BSD FFS formats?
:>I.e. does using the 4.3BSD FFS impose some sort of limits on filesystem
:>size, speed, etc.?
:
:The major difference is that 4.4BSD stores the file type in the directory
:entry.  There may be other differences which I don't recall off hand.

Sorry to add to the confusion, but I thought the default installations
of BSD use the 4.2BSD FFS format?

         --Jerry
--
8) Jerry Alexandratos          % - %   "Nothing inhabits my    (8

BSD/Solaris filesystem compatibility?

Post by Jason Kwa » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Timothy,
Why would anyone bother to dual-boot Solaris w/ BSD on the same machine? Isn't
that a little complicated and impracticle?

Post by Timothy J. L » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

|Why would anyone bother to dual-boot Solaris w/ BSD on the same machine? Isn't
|that a little complicated and impracticle?

1.  To use or test the compat_svr4 capability found in some versions of BSD.
2.  To know whether two file servers, one Solaris, one BSD, can use each
    others' disks in an emergency (not a dual boot application, but a situation
    where one might use one with the other's disks.

1. How robust are Solaris 2.4's BSD/SunOS compatibility libraries?

I need to port some SunOS based network applications to Solaris 2.4+.
I have two choices - use the BSD compatibility libs and compiler
options or make the necessary changes to port the sources to
SVR4/Solaris 2.4.

The question I have is - how robust are the BSD compatiility libraries
in Solaris ? Particularly in the area of network API's, signal
handling, process control etc.. The application is single threaded,
but some system libraries it links with may not be (nsl?).

Please reply to this article since my email is currently unreliable.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

/Ashok

2. Linux and Partitioning

3. Solaris / BSD: (ufs)dump / (ufs)restore compatibility?

4. X & BusMouse HELP!!!

5. Building pmake (BSD make) on Solaris (non-BSD in general)?

7. BSD, BSD or BSD?

8. Name Resolution Problem

9. FreeBSD 4.1 and BSD/OS 4.1 Compatibility?

10. get/setpriority w/o bsd compatibility?