how to enable password aging for root ?

Thank.

Post by Anthony Mandi » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 19:37:55

> Why?  This would be a massively Bad Idea(tm).

> Imagine the password expires and you don't change it.  Then you logout
> and can't get back in unless you boot from CDROM.  That's good for
> downtime.

        Boot from CDROM just to change an aged password. Gee, that's be a
        first, Rolfie.

-am     ? 2003

Post by Lars Tunkran » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:59:58

> Thank.

I have had the Imediate predesessor to solaris  -
" ICL DRS/NX  for SPARC "  which is a SVR4  unix from
the early nineties  running with password aging on the
root account for , oh  , 15 years  by now...

all that happends when the password expires is that
the next time you log in  it prompts you for a new
password , just the same as if you would have run
" passwd -f "  on the account.

You set up password aging with the "passwd" command
read the manual.

Lars Tunkrans
smtp: lars dot tunkrans at bredband dot net

Post by Valoch » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 01:07:03

> > Thank.

> Why?  This would be a massively Bad Idea(tm).

> Imagine the password expires and you don't change it.  Then you logout
> and can't get back in unless you boot from CDROM.  That's good for
> downtime.

Dude, whenever a password expires, you are asked to change it at logon.
That's how it works ;-)

Valoche