Motif under Solaris 2.3 or 2.4, I don't care...

Motif under Solaris 2.3 or 2.4, I don't care...

Post by Bob » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Ok, I run Oracle 7.1.4 and according to everyone I ask, I need Motif
to run any of the GUI tools.  Plus I REALLY need to get SQL*Net up and
it also requires Motif for the admin stuff.

Anyway, I installed the Motif libraries off of the Solaris 2.4 disc
and...and...ok, where's mwm?  Or don't I need mwm?  I don't have a
clue.  I've added /usr/dt to my LD_LIBRARY_BLAH_BLAH and ran the
xmbind program but don't seem to notice any differences.  Is twm a
Motif window manager?  It reminds me of Sunview a lot (eek).

Is olwm Motif-compatible?  Or am I missing something really obvious?
If anyone has any input, TIA.

Either follow-up to this article or via e-mail to:

Thanx,
Bob S. Johnson

Post by Karel Goder » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: and...and...ok, where's mwm?  Or don't I need mwm?  I don't have a
: clue.  I've added /usr/dt to my LD_LIBRARY_BLAH_BLAH and ran the
: xmbind program but don't seem to notice any differences.  Is twm a
: Motif window manager?  It reminds me of Sunview a lot (eek).

mwm is on the Solaris 2.4 SDK, but you don't need the mwm to run Motif
programs. They run fine under either olwm or olvwm. What you have in the
std Solaris distr. are runtime libs. :)

--
 Karel Goderis

 VUB - Vrije Universiteit Brussel

 IGUANA - Indepent Group of Unix-alikes and Networking activists

 BEST - Board of European Students of Technology

Post by John D Groenve » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Ok, I run Oracle 7.1.4 and according to everyone I ask, I need Motif
>to run any of the GUI tools.  Plus I REALLY need to get SQL*Net up and
>it also requires Motif for the admin stuff.

Yes, if you wish to build the GUI tools, you need Motif libraries. If you
wish to run the GUI tools you should probably run the Motif window manager-
mwm. Why the mwm requirement? Because Oracle says they dont want to hear
complaints about keys not properly mapping and GUI apps not correctly sized
under XYZ window manager.

Quote:>Anyway, I installed the Motif libraries off of the Solaris 2.4 disc
>and...and...ok, where's mwm?  Or don't I need mwm?  I don't have a
>clue.  I've added /usr/dt to my LD_LIBRARY_BLAH_BLAH and ran the
>xmbind program but don't seem to notice any differences.  Is twm a
>Motif window manager?  It reminds me of Sunview a lot (eek).

I dont think you want to fall into the LD_LIBRARY_PATH trap. Instead,
relink svrmgr and your other GUI apps with the correct XLIBHOME and
MOTIFLIBHOME entries.

Quote:>Is olwm Motif-compatible?  Or am I missing something really obvious?
>If anyone has any input, TIA.

I think the Oracle installation guide discusses these issues, but if not
you can call tech-support and request the bulletin.

Best of luck,
John

Post by Andrew R. Tef » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Anyway, I installed the Motif libraries off of the Solaris 2.4 disc
>and...and...ok, where's mwm?  Or don't I need mwm?

mwm is simply a window manager and is not needed to run motif programs.
It is not included in 2.4 but is part of the SDK. Sun's reasoning is
that they don't want to support it, what with CDE close to coming out;
they are putting their efforts into the CDE window manager (that is
also the reason for /usr/dt where dt means desktop).

Quote:>clue.  I've added /usr/dt to my LD_LIBRARY_BLAH_BLAH and ran the
>xmbind program but don't seem to notice any differences.

Don't know what you expect to see. Check the manual page for it,
it doesn't do anything visual! You should have added /usr/dt/lib
to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and now Motif programs can find the dynamic
libraries.

Quote:> Is twm a
>Motif window manager?

No, the only Motif window manager is mwm, but once again, the window
manager is irrelevant in most cases.

If your software vendor is trying to tell you you need mwm to run their
software, they're probably full of *and getting mwm confused with the
motif libraries (as many people do).

Quote:>Is olwm Motif-compatible?  Or am I missing something really obvious?
>If anyone has any input, TIA.

I use olwm with motif applications, no problem.

--

Motif under Solaris 2.3 or 2.4, I don't care...

Post by d.. » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Subject: Motif under Solaris 2.3 or 2.4, I don't care...

Bob, you might want to get ahold of the SDK kit for Solaris, this will have
all of what you need to run the Motif windoe manager.    From what I could
tell, the /usr/dt installation off the Solaris v2.4 CD was just partial files
which are related to the Common Desktop Environment Package.

1. Solaris 2.4/5 SCSI problems (that weren't in 2.3)??

Solaris 2.5 seems to handle SCSI differently to 2.3 and earlier; we have an IPX
system which was working nicely with its internal SCSI disk, external
Micropolis ones, and a "shoebox" with an old tape and non-SUN (Chinon, in fact)
SCSI CDROM drive.  As soon as wel tried upgrading from 2.3 to 2.5 (during the
boot from the CDROM) we had SCSI warnings (dropped down to asynch, then gave a
timeout and wouldn't boot).  Taking the CD out and installing from the net was
okay until we re-introduced the CDROM to the working system (huge mess when
accessing the external disk).  This is with all target ID's, cables, etc the
same as the previously-working system.  Probe-scsi is happy.

Is there some way to patch Solaris 2.5 to make it work again?  Is this a known
fault (or feature) of the upgrade from 2.3 to (2.4 or ) 2.5??

Thanks for any help,
Mark Aitchison

Mark Aitchison, Physics & Astronomy   \_  Phone : +64 3 3642-947 a.h. 3371-225
University of Canterbury,             </  Fax   : +64 3 3642-469  or  3642-999

(witty saying under construction)   (/'

2. PPro 166 vs. 2 PPro 180's?

3. Solaris 2.4 vs. Solaris 2.3

4. top for Solaris 2.6

5. moving from SPARC solaris 2.3 to x86 solaris 2.4

6. Devices not recognized- wrong kernel?

7. Anyone care that UnixWare executables don't run on Solaris?

8. Adaptec 2940 question/problem

9. Modems don't work - Solaris 2.3

10. executable files don't seem to work on Solaris 2.3 ...?

11. PPP dynamic poin to point link don't hang the modem on Solaris 2.3

12. Solaris 2.3 man pages don't display all available pages

13. Solaris 2.3/FDDI "Don't Fragment"