sun multiple interfaces and mrtg

Post by Ricardo Stell » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I have more than one interface setup on my sun box (solaris 2.6).  I
configured mrtg to give me traffic on each one of them (they are not acting
as routers).

I do get proper incoming traffic, but no outgoing traffic whatsovever on the
secondary interfaces.  Has anyone seen this ?  Or is it a configuration
issue on my end ? (I'm starting to think that all outgoing traffic is still
flowing out on one interface, while incoming is ok).

Two interfaces are set up in the same subnet, while the third one is on a
separate subnet.  The two on the same net are set up with different mac
address (one hostid derived, the other one made up from private set), while
the third one is using the hostid derivative

Any hints/ideas ?

remove nospam if replying... TIA.

sun multiple interfaces and mrtg

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>I do get proper incoming traffic, but no outgoing traffic whatsovever on the
>secondary interfaces.  Has anyone seen this ?  Or is it a configuration
>issue on my end ? (I'm starting to think that all outgoing traffic is still
>flowing out on one interface, while incoming is ok).

Solaris won't do load sharing between two interfaces on the same subnet;
you could try:

        ndd -set /dev/ip  ip_enable_group_ifs 1

or "set ip:ip_enable_group_ifs = 1" in /etc/systems (requires reboot)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. multiple interfaces in the Sun box

Hi Geeks,

I have a 1280 box running Solaris 8 .This has two Gigabit UTP ports.
Both are connected, configured and made up. ( I even changed the
ethernet address of the 2nd port to a different one because the ether
addresses were same for both ).

Now my problem.

I want to force the traffic between these two interfaces over the
wire. Presntly it is not happening. When I disconnect the 2nd
interface from network and do a ping from the machine to the second
IP, it pings. When I do a ping -sRv, it shows that the intermediate is
the localhost ( 127.0.0.1) . Then, I forced a route, saying that
packets bound to the second interface should reach the first
interface. Still I can ping the second interface from the first one

Is there a way we can force that all packets from first interface to
second interface ( or vice versa) should go on to the wire and come
back?

regards
Radhakrishnan

2. IMPORTANT! FTP "SIZE" command really necessary?

3. graphical interface for MRTG

4. Linux FTP server authentication query

5. MRTG & Ethernet Interface

6. silly windows

7. multiple interface/unused interface problems!

8. AMD Athlon 1200C

9. Interface "descriptions" and MRTG

10. Interface problem with multiple alias interfaces in same subnet

11. forcing source interface w/ multiple interfaces

12. Sun serial Interface <-> Cisco router serial Interface

13. Multiple default routes on multiple interfaces