make all files written to a dir default to that dir's group???

make all files written to a dir default to that dir's group???

Post by reg.. » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a group that a few users belong to and a directory that they
are all sharing to create data.  Since they all do other work and
belong to various different primary groups, I created a special group
just for this project.  However I can't seem to figure out any way to
make it so that any file created in that directory belongs to the new
group _by default_.  This way the other members of this group will
alsobe able to  write to the file since the permissions on the
directory are 775.

Thus I am seeking a solution whereby the users do not have to remember
to do newgrp new_group and then newgrp back to their old "primary"
group.  Currently what is happening is that while each person may have
write access to the directory, each person is creating files that
belong to their primary group and thus are unwritable by those members
of the special group who to other, different groups.

I am using a Sun Ultra 2000 running 2.4 and 2 5000's running 2.5.1.

Any ideas?

thanks

Adam

Post by Timothy J. L » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

|                        However I can't seem to figure out any way to
|make it so that any file created in that directory belongs to the new
|group _by default_.

Does making the directory setgid (chmod g+s directory-name) do what you
need it to?

Post by Doug Chapm » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>belong to various different primary groups, I created a special group
>just for this project.  However I can't seem to figure out any way to
>make it so that any file created in that directory belongs to the new
>group _by default_.  This way the other members of this group will

Make sure the directory is owned bye the nessasary group and make
the directory set-gid

        chmod g+s <dir>

- Doug

1. way to make all files created in a dir default to that dir's group?

[...]

2. Oracle database Replication

3. weird... can't put a cd \dir\dir\dir\ in a .csh file...

4. What is Unix?

5. Creating some identical files/dir's in all users dir's

6. Routes on logical interfaces?

7. Apache MultiViews: /dir returns /dir/, not dir.html

8. removing soft links

9. changing the default users files and dir's....

10. after changing a user's home dir, cd ~user in ksh still use old dir

11. What is easiest way to "compress" a dir and all sud-dir's?

12. GURUS: user has two groups - new files inherit group from current dir - HOW?

13. dir timestamps vs dir/file timestamps