Disconnecting idle users automatically!

Post by mduff.. » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 04:24:40

Hi All,

       I have seen on some of the Solaris machines if the telnet
session keeps idle for long time, it gets disconnected.  It might be 15
mins idle or 1 hour etc.  How can I implement this?  Is there any
kernel parameters to specify this?

TIA,
Mike.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Allen Wittenaue » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 15:12:52

> Hi All,

>        I have seen on some of the Solaris machines if the telnet
> session keeps idle for long time, it gets disconnected.  It might be 15
> mins idle or 1 hour etc.  How can I implement this?  Is there any
> kernel parameters to specify this?

take a look at idled

http://www.darkwing.com/idled/

Post by randyst.. » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:00:10

> Hi All,

>        I have seen on some of the Solaris machines if the telnet
> session keeps idle for long time, it gets disconnected.  It might be
15
> mins idle or 1 hour etc.  How can I implement this?  Is there any
> kernel parameters to specify this?

The TMOUT environment variable works if the users are at a
shell prompt.  And the idled program can be used in some systems.
We ran into issues with this.  The biggest one is that idled
bases activity on the same criteria as Unix ("who -u" or "w").
This only takes into account keyboard activity.  Thus idled
will log off a user running a long cpu bound job with no
keyboard activity.

To get around this, we wrote/sell a product called LOGMON.  This
software monitors the cpu usage for each user and their child
processes.  That way we can be sure the user is idle.  You can
control how the users is logged off, and you can vary the
inactivity time by user, time of day, etc.  If this is of

www.computro.com/ne for details.  Thanks!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

1. How to automatically disconnect users idle for a long time?

at our site we are running an IBM R6000 w AIX 4.2. the system is
overloaded (over 30 simultanous connections) and people keep idle
connections for hours. is there a way to automatically disconnect
users after a certain idle time?

TIA

Paolo Agati

Comune di Gorizia
Ufficio sistemi informativi
tel +39 481 383342
fax +39 481 383351

--
Posted from eell.regione.fvg.it [195.120.221.6]

2. ppp prodigy setup - help!!!

3. How do I disconnect idle SLIP/PPP users?

4. monitoring 802.11 handoff

5. Disconnecting Users after idled in a certain time

6. Kernel compilation woes

7. Disconnecting an Idle User

8. smrsh sendmail mailman problem

9. How to disconnect idle dialup users?

10. How to automatically disconnect a user after a period of inactivity?

11. killing idle users that don't seem to be idle

12. idle-disconnect -- an useful PPP tip

13. Idled disconnects because of xlock