Anybody know of a good free application launcher for X?

Anybody know of a good free application launcher for X?

Post by Scott Lawso » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 23:28:03

People,

I am looking for a good easily customizable application launcher for
xterms. Basically
I just want to find something that can be launched from Exceed so that
our students
can access applications from open access PC's without having to use the
command line
from an xterm to launch apps. Any ideas would be appreciated, as would
example
configs for the launcher...

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

  slawson.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Dennis Peterso » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 11:56:05

> People,

> I am looking for a good easily customizable application launcher for
> xterms. Basically
> I just want to find something that can be launched from Exceed so that
> our students
> can access applications from open access PC's without having to use the
> command line
> from an xterm to launch apps. Any ideas would be appreciated, as would
> example
> configs for the launcher...

> Thanks in advance,

> Scott.

If you're running Exceed why not let Exceed start the app? There is no
reason to start an xterm if all you use it for is to start an
application - you can start most any app directly from Exceed because it
is a launcher - in fact, that's how xterm launches.

It is also possible using shell scripting to write a simple menu screen
that will accept a keystroke and launch a task, and you can go crazy
with TCL/TK and write a full gui interface, but again, using your
Windows environment to accomplish the same thing is probably the
easiest. Just create some rexec or rsh objects using Exceed's
capabilities.

Dennis Peterson
CTO, One Stop Consulting, Inc.
Seattle, WA ... http://ThinkUNIX.com

Post by Scott Lawso » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 17:04:45

> > People,

> > I am looking for a good easily customizable application launcher for
> > xterms. Basically
> > I just want to find something that can be launched from Exceed so that
> > our students
> > can access applications from open access PC's without having to use the
> > command line
> > from an xterm to launch apps. Any ideas would be appreciated, as would
> > example
> > configs for the launcher...

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Scott.

> If you're running Exceed why not let Exceed start the app? There is no
> reason to start an xterm if all you use it for is to start an
> application - you can start most any app directly from Exceed because it
> is a launcher - in fact, that's how xterm launches.

I have about 30 or 40 apps that people need to launch, it is not practical to

set up exceed launch icons on everybody's desktop. (Think hospital with lots
an lots of buildings.... ;-))

Quote:

> It is also possible using shell scripting to write a simple menu screen
> that will accept a keystroke and launch a task, and you can go crazy
> with TCL/TK and write a full gui interface, but again, using your
> Windows environment to accomplish the same thing is probably the
> easiest. Just create some rexec or rsh objects using Exceed's
> capabilities.

Yeah I could sit down and write something in TCL/TK but I don't have the time
that's
why I was asking if anyone knows of something quick and easy to use that will
do what
I need and is easily configurable. I would intend to stick this into our
default .login script
for the less knowledgeable users or even configure exceed to start this
program directly
for those who are unfamiliar to a Unix shell.

Quote:

--

  slawson.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Dennis Peterso » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:17:52

> > > People,

> > > I am looking for a good easily customizable application launcher for
> > > xterms. Basically
> > > I just want to find something that can be launched from Exceed so that
> > > our students
> > > can access applications from open access PC's without having to use the
> > > command line
> > > from an xterm to launch apps. Any ideas would be appreciated, as would
> > > example
> > > configs for the launcher...

> > > Thanks in advance,

> > > Scott.

> > If you're running Exceed why not let Exceed start the app? There is no
> > reason to start an xterm if all you use it for is to start an
> > application - you can start most any app directly from Exceed because it
> > is a launcher - in fact, that's how xterm launches.

> I have about 30 or 40 apps that people need to launch, it is not practical to

> set up exceed launch icons on everybody's desktop. (Think hospital with lots
> an lots of buildings.... ;-))

I was under the impression that you could distribute shortcuts via email
or even by sharing them out - this latter being preferred if true,
because it is a nice configuration management solution. I don't do much
with Windows, though.

Quote:

> > It is also possible using shell scripting to write a simple menu screen
> > that will accept a keystroke and launch a task, and you can go crazy
> > with TCL/TK and write a full gui interface, but again, using your
> > Windows environment to accomplish the same thing is probably the
> > easiest. Just create some rexec or rsh objects using Exceed's
> > capabilities.

> Yeah I could sit down and write something in TCL/TK but I don't have the time
> that's
> why I was asking if anyone knows of something quick and easy to use that will
> do what
> I need and is easily configurable. I would intend to stick this into our
> default .login script
> for the less knowledgeable users or even configure exceed to start this
> program directly
> for those who are unfamiliar to a Unix shell.

You might take a look at Midnight Commander, then (www.gnome.org/mc).
Installs easily, and has a configurable user menu. It's based on the old
DOS Norton Commander so is also a file manager. Very text based. I ran a
form of it in OS/2 for years and have a version of it on my wife's Win2k
system so I don't have to fight with the gui, and it is on my Solaris
x86 system so my wife doesn't have to fight with the gui ;-).

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 06:50:33

>I am looking for a good easily customizable application launcher for
>xterms. Basically
>I just want to find something that can be launched from Exceed so that
>our students
>can access applications from open access PC's without having to use the
>command line from an xterm to launch apps. Any ideas would be appreciated,
>as would example configs for the launcher...

Presumably, the sudents also have to run some kind of windoze-only things
as well.. otherwise, it would make your life a lot easier to install solaris
on the PCs.

Then it's relatively easy to make a custom application folder, and have
them doubleclick on the appropriate icon.

The word of the day is mispergitude