where is cc

Post by Thom » Sat, 24 May 2003 06:08:58

The Solaris 8 I am using doesn't come with development lib and tools.
I am trying to install a Perl module DBD::Informix. Believe me, I
experience all troubles you cannot even think of. The last one, at
least as I hope, is the Informix ESQL wants to use Solaris cc as
compiler. Does anyone know where I can get cc source code or binary.

Thanks in advance

where is cc

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sat, 24 May 2003 06:33:37

> The Solaris 8 I am using doesn't come with development lib and tools.
> I am trying to install a Perl module DBD::Informix. Believe me, I
> experience all troubles you cannot even think of. The last one, at
> least as I hope, is the Informix ESQL wants to use Solaris cc as
> compiler. Does anyone know where I can get cc source code or binary.

You can get Sun's compiler collection here:

http://wwws.sun.com/software/sundev/index.html

but it's not free, not at all.  You can, however, get a 60 day trial
license for free.

OTOH, you can install the GNU compiler collection for free.

You might also want to read this FAQ and the next one:

http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q6.1

Pay particular attention to the packages required for "development lib
and tools", since you say that you don't have them.  Solaris -did- come
with them, with the exception of the compilers themselves.

where is cc

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 24 May 2003 06:39:15

> The Solaris 8 I am using doesn't come with development lib and tools.
> I am trying to install a Perl module DBD::Informix. Believe me, I
> experience all troubles you cannot even think of. The last one, at
> least as I hope, is the Informix ESQL wants to use Solaris cc as
> compiler. Does anyone know where I can get cc source code or binary.

Most packages will allow you to use gcc instead.  Try setting the
environment variable CC=gcc.

gcc is available in binary form from www.sunfreeware.com and other
sites, or from the companion software CD.

You'd also want to make sure that you have at least the developer
cluster installation, or that you add the development packages (the
compiler will need them).

http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/Q6.2.html
6.2) Which packages do I need to install to support a C compiler?

where is cc

Post by Divya Sundar » Sat, 24 May 2003 06:42:04

Quote:> The Solaris 8 I am using doesn't come with development lib and tools.
> I am trying to install a Perl module DBD::Informix. Believe me, I
> experience all troubles you cannot even think of. The last one, at
> least as I hope, is the Informix ESQL wants to use Solaris cc as
> compiler. Does anyone know where I can get cc source code or binary.

> Thanks in advance

You need to install the SunFreeware version of GCC and then go from
there.

Divya Sundaram ----------------------------- CONDITUR IN PETRA
We don't need more strength, or greater opportunity. What we
need is to use what we have.                  - BASIL S. WALSH
------ Motorola Applications Directory Services Team ---------

where is cc

Post by Sebastian Jaenick » Sat, 24 May 2003 06:32:24

>  compiler. Does anyone know where I can get cc source code or binary.

From Sun. For $$$, of course. Or just use gcc instead.

--
Sebastian Jaenicke                                   Disce aut discede!
whois pgpkey-18AC0BE4 -h whois.ripe.net|perl -ne's-^certif: +--&&print'

where is cc

Post by Paul Da » Sat, 24 May 2003 11:19:55

> The Solaris 8 I am using doesn't come with development lib and tools.
> I am trying to install a Perl module DBD::Informix. Believe me, I
> experience all troubles you cannot even think of. The last one, at
> least as I hope, is the Informix ESQL wants to use Solaris cc as
> compiler. Does anyone know where I can get cc source code or binary.

pkg-get install gcc-3.2.3

Or go get it from www.sunfreeware.com.

PD

--
Paul Day     Web: www.bur.st/~bonfire

where is cc

Post by Phill. » Sat, 24 May 2003 18:27:16

. . .

Quote:> Does anyone know where I can get cc source code or binary.

OK, Silly question -

"cc source code" - what language would that be written in?
And, if it's 'c', how do you compile it?

TIA,
    Phill  W.

where is cc

Post by Siraaj Khandka » Tue, 27 May 2003 04:53:42

Quote:

> "cc source code" - what language would that be written in?
> And, if it's 'c', how do you compile it?

:-)  ROFL

skhankar [at] khex [dot] com