Where to buy used equipment?

Post by Brad » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Does anyone know where old equipment can be found?  I'm looking for a Sparc 2
> pizza box w/ or w/out power supply.  I've found some places but they want just
> as much just for the box as they do for a complete Sparc 2 system.

> thanks.

> v.

  www.ebay.com
www.auctions.yahoo.com

Search for sparc

-Brad

Where to buy used equipment?

Post by Stephe » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > Does anyone know where old equipment can be found?  I'm looking for a Sparc 2
> > pizza box w/ or w/out power supply.  I've found some places but they want just
> > as much just for the box as they do for a complete Sparc 2 system.

> > thanks.

> > v.

You might want to try -

http://www.compsyscon.com/csc.htm
908-689-5500

Ask for Walter.  He's very resaonable for
items like you're interested in.  I've
purchased many things from him.

Stephen
eM

--
To contact me, please remove the `x' from my e-mail address.

Where to buy used equipment?

Post by Jason Patterso » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> You might want to try   http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Ask for Walter.  He's very resaonable for items like you're interested
> in.  I've purchased many things from him.

I absolutely DISAGREE with this advice. CompSysCon (also known as CSC)
ripped me off something terrible in a purchase 15 months ago...

First, he charged me more than the shipping price that he quoted. I queried he
and he said he would refund the excess, but he never did.

Then I found out that the package was shipped by SURFACE MAIL (ie boat), even
though my order clearly said AIR MAIL. So instead of getting it in 10 days I
would have to wait 4 months. And this was for an order which he knew was
urgent.

After arguing with him about it, he agreed to send a second machine for no
cost by air mail and I would return the first one when it arrived four months
later.

Although he had agreed to send the second machine at no cost, he then CHARGED
me for it by making an UNAUTHORIZED charge to my VISA card. If I had been a US
citizen I would have blocked the transaction, but international VISA doesn't
support that facility.

I then found out that he had sent the second machine by SURFACE mail (again).
I also found out about the second VISA charge. So I complained to him once
again and he agreed to do a refund, but it never happened (again).

I gave up on CSC and purchased the machine I needed from SRK.

When the first machine finally arrived, months later, it was missing several
components even though I had explicitly listed them on my order.

When the second machine arrived it was completely dead. The power supply was
dead, the motherboard was dead, and the floppy drive was dead. I know this
because I tried replacing various parts to salvage whatever I could.

So I ended up buying two machines, one of which was dead on arrival and the
other useless because it arrived so late that I had to buy from an alternative
source to get one in time for my requirements.

I complained several more times, buy email and fax, but nothing ever
eventuated. I basically never heard from him again.

Throughout the whole process he continually said one thing but did another.
In the end I simply concluded that he was a complete con-artist.

*** The m*is simple: STAY AWAY FROM CSC ***

If anyone is wondering, I can prove every word of the above statement. If it
wasn't for the high cost of the international legal process, I would take him
to court over the whole fiasco. For me it was not the money so much as the
time delays which cost dearly.

For purchasing 2nd hand SPARC equipment I would strongly recommend someone
like SRK (in Australia) or SunValleyTech (in California). I've purchased
multiple machines from both these organizations and they have always been
cheap, fast, professional, and the machines worked flawlessly.

SRK's web site is http://www.veryComputer.com/~craig/srk/
SunValleyTech's web site is http://www.veryComputer.com/

JASON PATTERSON

 Imagine that CRAY decides to make a personal computer. It contains 16
 Alpha based processors executing in parallel, has 800 megabytes of RAM,
 9 Gigabytes of disk storage, a resolution of 4096 x 4096 pixels, does
 24bit 3D graphics in realtime, relies entirely on voice recognition for
 input, fits in your shirt pocket and costs $300. What is the first
 question the computer community asks?

 "Is it DOS compatible?"

Where to buy used equipment?

Post by bra » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>> > Does anyone know where old equipment can be found?  I'm looking for a Sparc 2
>> > pizza box w/ or w/out power supply.  I've found some places but they want just
>> > as much just for the box as they do for a complete Sparc 2 system.

>> > thanks.

>> > v.

>You might want to try -

>http://www.compsyscon.com/csc.htm
>908-689-5500

I didn't call your contact, but based on the prices at this URL:

http://www.compsyscon.com/prod01.htm

ebay is much cheaper.

Quote:>Ask for Walter.  He's very resaonable for

Post by Thomas L|fgre » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

    JP> [...]
    JP> Although he had agreed to send the second machine at no cost,
    JP> he then CHARGED me for it by making an UNAUTHORIZED charge to
    JP> my VISA card. If I had been a US citizen I would have blocked
    JP> the transaction, but international VISA doesn't support that
    JP> facility.
    JP> [...]

Off-topic warning:

In most countries, you could just refuse to pay that part of the
credit card bill, since you haven't agreed to paying it.  I'm sure the
people at VISA don't want people charging stuff right and left without
authorization.  Just because a vendor has your credit card number
doesn't mean they can legally charge you.  It's probably too late now,
but if you would have refused to pay the bill, VISA would be the ones
in trouble, and you'd be fine (even legally).  I have no knowledge of
Austrailian laws on this, though.

Tom
--
Wherever I lay my .emacs, that's my ${HOME}