/dev/null permissions change

Post by use.. » Thu, 01 Dec 1994 02:19:20

I'm running a Sparc 10 under Solaris 2.3 -  The last two times I've rebooted the system I have got

My system administrator (an avid Solaris basher) hasn't been able to help... Anyone else have an idea?

Thanks,
Steve Woodard

Post by Tony Schlo » Fri, 02 Dec 1994 09:02:53

: I'm running a Sparc 10 under Solaris 2.3 -  The last two times I've rebooted
: the system I have got
: an error message- something about /dev/null permission denied.  I've had

: to use /dev/null each time.
: My system administrator (an avid Solaris basher) hasn't been able to
: help... Anyone else have an idea?

If you get any responses mailed, please post a summary.  I've been having the
same problem, intermittently, and solve it the same way you do (chmod).
And as it's not a real big problem yet, it's fallen low on my priority
list to try and figure it out  :)  Thanks.

--

Senior Systems Analyst
CACI, Inc.

Post by Thomas Kno » Sat, 03 Dec 1994 02:25:17

> I'm running a Sparc 10 under Solaris 2.3 -  The last two times I've rebooted the system I have got

> My system administrator (an avid Solaris basher) hasn't been able to help... Anyone else have an idea?

Each time you use the "Printer Manager" from Solaris to add an local printer
to "Printer Port" /dev/null (e.g. for printers with an ethernet interface),
the "Printer Manager" will change the permissions of /dev/null to 0600 and the
owner to "lp". Maybe this caused your problems.

Regards
Thomas Knott

Post by Darrel Hankers » Mon, 05 Dec 1994 03:51:56

   : I'm running a Sparc 10 under Solaris 2.3 -  The last two times I've
   : rebooted the system I have got
   : an error message- something about /dev/null permission denied.  I've had

   : to use /dev/null each time.

   If you get any responses mailed, please post a summary.  I've been having
   the same problem, intermittently, and solve it the same way you do (chmod).

We see this in connection with configuration of local printers on HP
X-terminals (booting from a Sparc-20, Solaris 2.3).

The HP Aptrex X-terminals work nicely, but use /dev/null as the printer
port. If the Sun configuration tools are then used to try to adjust
the settings (of the printer connected to the HP), then /dev/null gets
the wrong permissions.  There are no such problems if the printer is
configured with the supplied HP software.
--

Post by Frank Stua » Tue, 06 Dec 1994 06:18:33

>I'm running a Sparc 10 under Solaris 2.3 -  The last two times I've rebooted the system I have got

>My system administrator (an avid Solaris basher) hasn't been able to help... Anyone else have an idea?

Have you recently added an HP printer that's directly attached to the network?
If so, the jetdirect software (I think that's what it's called) will set the
printer device to /dev/null (since there isn't a device).  If you later try to
apply changes with admintool, it'll change the owner, group, and permissions
of /dev/null as if it really was a printer.  The fix, don't use admintool.

If not, I'm not sure what might have caused it, but looking at the owner
and group of /dev/null may give you some clue.

Frank Stuart              | (Admiral Grace) Hopper's Law:

Post by Christian Engstl » Tue, 06 Dec 1994 17:25:33

: > I'm running a Sparc 10 under Solaris 2.3 -  The last two times I've rebooted the system I have got

: >
: > My system administrator (an avid Solaris basher) hasn't been able to help... Anyone else have an idea?

: Each time you use the "Printer Manager" from Solaris to add an local printer
: to "Printer Port" /dev/null (e.g. for printers with an ethernet interface),
: the "Printer Manager" will change the permissions of /dev/null to 0600 and the
: owner to "lp". Maybe this caused your problems.

: Regards
: Thomas Knott

Yup, I experienced the same problem. Really annoying ...
I solved it by 'connecting' the printer to an empty file.
Can this cause any side effects ?
---
Christian Engstler, Dept. of Mathematics, University of Tuebingen

Post by Horst Scheuerma » Sat, 10 Dec 1994 19:39:20

> > I'm running a Sparc 10 under Solaris 2.3 -  The last two times I've rebooted the system I have got

> > My system administrator (an avid Solaris basher) hasn't been able to help... Anyone else have an idea?
> Each time you use the "Printer Manager" from Solaris to add

or edit

Quote:> an local printer

--
Horst Scheuermann       Universitaets-Rechenzentrum Trier       __o
Universitaetsring 19    D-54286 Trier                         _`\<,_

1. Q: Mysterious permission change on /dev/null. Virus ??

Hi !
Here is a mysterious thing that happens on my RedHat 3.03:
the permission on the /dev/null node keep on changing
from crw-rw-rw- which is i think normal
to crw-rw-rw- which is *very* ennoying, because lots of prgrams can't
start when they redirect stderr...
It seems to me that a process (maybe a naughty one) does this dirty joke
:)

Any help is welcome.

Leo.

2. Miro 20 SV (968) -> ugly display

3. XFree86-4.0.2 changes permissions to /dev/null

4. Problems running lyx

5. /dev/null permissions keep changing to 600 ?

6. need NAT help please................

7. Permissions on /dev/null changing

8. Multithreaded C/C++ debugger

9. HELP: 2>&1 > /dev/null != 2>&- > /dev/null ???

10. cp /dev/null or cat /dev/null

11. rsh machine -n 'command >&/dev/null </dev/null &'

12. bash: /dev/null: permission denied Error Message

13. Seyon: permission to /dev/null