Ultra 60 Solaris 2.6 5/98 installation problem

Ultra 60 Solaris 2.6 5/98 installation problem

Post by Ti » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 19:48:20

Hi,

I have been given the joyous task of administering some Solaris 2.6
5/98 boxes at work.

Not knowing too much about Solaris at present I have decided that
probably the best thing to do is try a test installation.

Unfortunately the 'box' of disks i have been given may not be complete
so I am experimenting a bit in which ones to use..

So far I have used a CD called 'Operating Environment installation CD
- february 2000' to start my installation on my Ultra 60.

At some point later during the installation i am asked to put in my
'Solaris 2.6 5/98' cd which i do and the installation seems to finish
ok.

The problem i have now is that when i get to the login prompt, every
key i press generates about 15 instances of itself in the login box
(it doesn't do this from the boot prompt.

what am i doing wrong?

ta

tim

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 23:11:21

>The problem i have now is that when i get to the login prompt, every
>key i press generates about 15 instances of itself in the login box
>(it doesn't do this from the boot prompt.
>what am i doing wrong?

Your system needs to be patched; perhaps the OE installation CD is
too old; anyway, installing the latest recommended patch cluster
should fix this problem.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Second Hard Drive Format in Solaris 2.6 Ultra 60

Hi:
     I am new to Solaris admin.

    I installed a scond hard drive in Solaris 2.6 Ultra 60. I did the
Stop-A during boot. Now the computer sees the second hard drive. I am
doing the Format. Now it has:
    /root
    /usr
    /home

    I want the second hard drive to have "extended" /usr and /home.
    Since the first hard drive has alreardy the above partition, I plan
to name them in the second hard drive as:
    /usr1
    /home1.

    My questions are:
    1. How do I delete the /root dir in the second hard drive?
    2. When I create the /usr1 and /home1, how do I create the link
between /usr and /usr1, /home and /home1?
    3. Symbolic link? What is that?
    4. When I reboot, how do I automatically mount the partitions in the
second hard drive?

    Thanks for the help.

2. HELP! SLS 1.05

3. English and Japanese Solaris 2.6 on Ultra 60?

4. Any one know of a command that does this...

5. Configuring Motorola modem on Ultra-60 , Solaris 2.6

6. "-O" or "-xO3" for optimization with Sun C++ Compiler

7. Changing keyboard layout on Solaris 2.6 / Ultra 60

8. Failed PAP logins

9. Help with Solaris 9 Installation Problem on Ultra 60

10. Installing Solaris 2.6 5/98 onto a Ultra-5

11. Patched 2.6 3/98 and 2.6 5/98 the same?

12. Solaris 2.6 3/98 vs 5/98?

13. Differences between Solaris 2.6 March 98 and May 98