Online Root backups using Disksuite Mirror - Why not?

Online Root backups using Disksuite Mirror - Why not?

Post by Peter J Nayl » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
        I had big plans to mirror my root and swap partitions,
so that I'd have an up-to-date spare should one burn up, and also
so that I could backup without rebooting into single user mode.
All was well in my implementation until I got to the section on
online backups in the Disksuite Answerbook, and there's a single
line in a box that says "Note - Do not perform this procedure on
the root file system."  Well, I'm disappointed, and I wish I knew
why I shouldn't attempt such a procedure.

This is Disksuite 4.0 with Solaris 2.5 on a 5/110, if that's at
all relevant.  Anyone got any ideas?  And is anyone using this
method for their backup policy?  I really hate the idea of
downtime just for a backup.  And our customers probably wouldn't
understand...

--
/******************************************************************
 *  From the SPARCbook of:  Peter James Naylor  ##################*

 ******************************************************************/

Online Root backups using Disksuite Mirror - Why not?

Post by Brian S. Craigie - Unix SA - NEC - Scotla » Sat, 26 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

--

If you drop one side of the mirror, then use the raw disk (s2 - the entire disk)
that you just dropped in a dd you can then use this to restore back in the

eg if /dev/md/rdsk/d29 is the half of the mirror you dropped, and this is on
/dev/rdsk/c0t3d0, then use dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s2 of=/dev/rmt/0hn bs=48k or
whatever, to do the dump.

Best Regards,

Brian Craigie

Unix Sys Admin

My views are not necessarily those of my employers...

<<< Would sixty gallons be sufficient? -- Robby the Robot >>>

1. DiskSuite v4.0 - mirror root *DOES NOT WORK*

We have our main servers mirrorring root, swap, usr for maximum
reliability but someone is claiming in our office that the feature
does *NOT* work - eg if we had a mirrored disk fail, the machine would
fall over and olny then would the mirror copy kick in (assuming we
booted off the correct device).

can someone tell me if DiskSuite is reliable regarding mirroring
root,swap,usr ?

A Sun employee sugessted that Sun do not use disksuite on these
partitions becasue it DOES NOT WORK!?!?!?!

we get a performance hit by mirroring but we thought it was worth it
for extra reliability - but we will back out of disksuite if it's not
gonna work when it comes to the crunch.

has anyone got anything to say about this please ???

--

Amoco Services Limited            Unix Systems Administrator

2. How to use Cron Manually??

3. pkgIDs for Online: Backup and DiskSuite

4. Opinions on ArcserveIT Unix backup agent to NT?

5. On-Line DiskSuite 3.0 to Solstice DiskSuite 4.1 upgrade problem.

6. Stop parent if child dies

7. Mirroring root devies with Disksuite or Veritas Volume Manager??

8. FastTrak66 driver?

9. Solaris 8 / DiskSuite / Mirroring root disks - advice wanted

10. Mirroring root disk without Disksuite or Veritas?

11. disksuite root mirror problem

12. Mirroring root disk without Disksuite or Veritas?

13. Booting of a root mirror disk with DiskSuite