Q: Ultra 5 parallel port

Post by Stuart Butterfie » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Anyone out there have any experience of programming the parallel
port on an Ultra 5?

The main problem is that although I'm connecting a 1284-compatible
device, the ecpp driver refuses to recognise it as such and drops
me into plain old Centronics mode, which I am then unable to change.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

I'm not helped by the fact that the online manual pages don't
seem to correspond to the C include files, despite the patch
which reportedly fixes this already being installed :-(

Any advice, comments, code snippets etc. would be much appreciated.

Stuart

--
Stuart Butterfield                      T: +44 (0)1293 815581
Research Scientist                      F: +44 (0)1293 815500

Q: Ultra 5 parallel port

Post by Woof Dunla » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Anyone out there have any experience of programming the parallel
> port on an Ultra 5?

> The main problem is that although I'm connecting a 1284-compatible
> device, the ecpp driver refuses to recognise it as such and drops
> me into plain old Centronics mode, which I am then unable to change.

> Has anyone else had similar experiences?

> I'm not helped by the fact that the online manual pages don't
> seem to correspond to the C include files, despite the patch
> which reportedly fixes this already being installed :-(

> Any advice, comments, code snippets etc. would be much appreciated.

> Stuart

> --
> Stuart Butterfield                      T: +44 (0)1293 815581
> Research Scientist                      F: +44 (0)1293 815500
> Interactive Systems Group

Hi Stuart,

  Sun has a patch for ecpp parallel port problems.  Have you applied the
recommended patches?
http://sunsolve1.Sun.COM/sunsolve/us/pubpatches/patches.html

Bye,
  Andy Dunlap

Q: Ultra 5 parallel port

Post by Stuart Butterfie » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

:
:   Sun has a patch for ecpp parallel port problems.  Have you applied the
: recommended patches?
: http://sunsolve1.Sun.COM/sunsolve/us/pubpatches/patches.html

The latest patch is 105741-05. We have up to 105741-03 installed,
but the problems described in the patch readmes for 04/05 don't
sound like the ones I'm experiencing.

That said, it's probably worth a try since the 03 patch supposedly
fixes conflicts between the man page descriptions and ioctls, but
in fact, doesn't seem to.

--
Stuart

1. Some Qs about parallel port programming (in EPP mode)

Hi all,

I am a newie in Linux device driver programming. I need to write a
parallel port driver in EPP mode and have read the parallel port
spec. in the past two weeks. However, I still get confused and hope
for the help.

1. Is it right that I just write/read the PARPORT_PORT_BASE+4, the
   hardware will do the EPP handshake itself and transfer the data?
   If not, any bits in the register I need to (de)active?

2. I have read lp.c in Linux Kernel Source and found the following
   code. Why it use do { ... } while (0) to enclose the actual code?

   #define w_dtr(x,y)  \
    do { parport_write_data(lp_table[(x)].dev->port, (y)); } while (0)

3. Have any web sites discuss how to program the parallel port driver
   in EPP mode?

Thanks for any help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. DNS Stupid question

3. parallel port printer and parallel port superdisk

4. Squid Proxy

5. Multiple parallel ports/IRQ sharing/non-use of IRQ by parallel ports?

6. once again about mpathd

7. Sun Ultra Parallel Port /dev/ecpp0

8. tape.exe

9. How to add a local printer on parallel port of Ultra 10 with Solaris 2.6

10. Ultra Sparc Parallel Port not working?

11. parallel port on ultra machines

12. Parallel port off the shelf Zip-100 on an Ultra 5

13. Parallel port problem on Ultra 5/sol. 2.5.1