Does Solaris 10 support ASUS P4P800 on-board NIC?

Does Solaris 10 support ASUS P4P800 on-board NIC?

Post by Raymond Ch » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:26:20

Hi,

Just installed the latest Sol 10 GA on my ASUS P4P800 PC, everything
goese fine, except network.

Can anyone help me figure it out, thanks in advanced.

Post by PM » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:55:23

> Hi,

> Just installed the latest Sol 10 GA on my ASUS P4P800 PC, everything
> goese fine, except network.

yep, i realized this too some days ago ;-(

Quote:> Can anyone help me figure it out, thanks in advanced.

I'm already thinking about purchasing
one of the supported/working cards:

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/sol/components/views/networking_...

Post by aryz.. » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:14:30

> Hi,

> Just installed the latest Sol 10 GA on my ASUS P4P800 PC, everything
> goese fine, except network.

> Can anyone help me figure it out, thanks in advanced.

I am not familiar with this specific MBoard, but there is
a chance that Solaris driver is available on Asus web site.
I've found one there for Marvell Yukon gigabit NIC;
sometimes Asus builds this chip on the MBboards, too.
Funny enough, this Solaris driver was hidden somewhere under
Linux directories. It also claimed to be Solaris 2.7 driver,
but works fine in Solaris 10.

Try to figure out what chip is used for this onboard NIC
(using m$ windoze of Linux/Knoppix), after that looking for a
Solaris driver becomes a bit easier

Regards,
Andrei

Post by David Hayne » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:31:41

>> Hi,

>> Just installed the latest Sol 10 GA on my ASUS P4P800 PC, everything
>> goese fine, except network.

>> Can anyone help me figure it out, thanks in advanced.

>I am not familiar with this specific MBoard, but there is
>a chance that Solaris driver is available on Asus web site.
>I've found one there for Marvell Yukon gigabit NIC;
>sometimes Asus builds this chip on the MBboards, too.
>Funny enough, this Solaris driver was hidden somewhere under
>Linux directories. It also claimed to be Solaris 2.7 driver,
>but works fine in Solaris 10.

>Try to figure out what chip is used for this onboard NIC
>(using m$ windoze of Linux/Knoppix), after that looking for a
>Solaris driver becomes a bit easier

>Regards,
>Andrei

I'm not sure if this will help, but if the NIC is accessed via the
PCI, then /usr/X11/bin/scanpci may be of interest.

-david-

Does Solaris 10 support ASUS P4P800 on-board NIC?

Post by kosti » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:38:28

I have a P4P800 mainboard, happy running Solaris 10, 9 and 8 (except
some problems with SATA HDDs). All three systems use the drivers from
http://www.sysconnect.com. You need to download tar named like
skgesol_x86v6.XX.tar.Z (solaris drivers are easily located from the
main page).

Follow instruction from README to remove SK98sol package coming with
the system and do an install of the downloaded package. In fact, after
installation you got the error "driver loaded succesfully, but failed
to attach". It's ok, you need

rem_drv skge
add_drv -i '"pci1043,811a"' skge
ifconfig skge0 plumb

Note that pci1043,811a thing can differ for you instance of the MB,
look for pci id for ethernet controller in the prtpicl -v output.

Hope this helps.

Does Solaris 10 support ASUS P4P800 on-board NIC?

Post by Mats » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:37:35

Quote:>Hi,

>Just installed the latest Sol 10 GA on my ASUS P4P800 PC, everything
>goese fine, except network.

>Can anyone help me figure it out, thanks in advanced.

I use one of these boards on a windoze pc and the onboard lan chipset
is a Intel PRO 1000 CT.
--
Mats

Post by kosti » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:42:21

Sorry, it shall be http://www.syskonnect.com. Exact URL for driver is
http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/htm/skgesol_x86v6...

Post by Juergen Kei » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:09:11

> rem_drv skge
> add_drv -i '"pci1043,811a"' skge

The preferred way to add an additional driver alias entry is

  update_drv -a -i '"pci1043,811a"' skge

Post by PM » Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:03:36

>>rem_drv skge
>>add_drv -i '"pci1043,811a"' skge

> The preferred way to add an additional driver alias entry is

>   update_drv -a -i '"pci1043,811a"' skge

Thanks kostik and Juergen!

It works now!
PM

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:52:13

>>Hi,

>>Just installed the latest Sol 10 GA on my ASUS P4P800 PC, everything
>>goese fine, except network.

>>Can anyone help me figure it out, thanks in advanced.
>I use one of these boards on a windoze pc and the onboard lan chipset
>is a Intel PRO 1000 CT.

That's the "Deluxe" version.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:51:38

>Hi,
>Just installed the latest Sol 10 GA on my ASUS P4P800 PC, everything
>goese fine, except network.
>Can anyone help me figure it out, thanks in advanced.

You can either download the tcge driver from ASUS
or the skge driver from Syskonnect.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=...

(It's in the downloads section for that board on the
ASUS website)

Casper

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:53:57

>I have a P4P800 mainboard, happy running Solaris 10, 9 and 8 (except
>some problems with SATA HDDs). All three systems use the drivers from
>http://www.sysconnect.com. You need to download tar named like
>skgesol_x86v6.XX.tar.Z (solaris drivers are easily located from the
>main page).
>Follow instruction from README to remove SK98sol package coming with
>the system and do an install of the downloaded package. In fact, after
>installation you got the error "driver loaded succesfully, but failed
>to attach". It's ok, you need
>rem_drv skge
>add_drv -i '"pci1043,811a"' skge
>ifconfig skge0 plumb

You should just do:

        update_drv -a -i  '"pci1043,811a"' skge

but probably it should be:
        update_drv -a -i  '"pci10b7,1700"' skge
        update_drv -a -i  '"pci10b7,10"' skge
        update_drv -a -i  '"pci10b7,20"' skge

as those are the proper 3C940/3C2000 PCI ids.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Does Solaris 10 support ASUS P4P800 on-board NIC?

Post by Mats » Sat, 19 Feb 2005 05:35:55

Quote:

>That's the "Deluxe" version.

Ah, it is...sorry, didn't thought of that.

--
Mats