diff

Post by Tom Jamorsk » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 03:19:25

I am having problems with using bdiff  on a large text files (about 300000
rows).
I am trying to output only the new or changed lines that appear in todays
file (compared to yesterday's file).
Diff only reports that the files are different due to the large file size
(over 70MB each) so I have to use bdiff.
Also Comm -13 yesterdayfile todayfile outputs some rows that exist in both
files for some reason (the content is the same, but located on different
line numbers).
I'm using the following command:

bdiff -a yesterdaysfile todaysfile |grep '^> ' > differencefile

The different records are output correctly, however, each line in the output
file begins with the > symbol and a space before the actual data. The format
of the output is skewed because I have more than one record per line in the
difference file.
There seems to be a problem with the way white spacing is handled by bdiff.

Any suggestions on how to make sure that only one line from the input files
appears on a line in the difference file?
Perhaps there are ways to split the files, use diff, and then rejoin them?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

diff

Post by Kjetil Torgrim Homm » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 08:31:00

[Tom Jamorski]

Quote:>   I am having problems with using bdiff on a large text files (about
>   300000 rows).  I am trying to output only the new or changed lines
>   that appear in todays file (compared to yesterday's file).  Diff
>   only reports that the files are different due to the large file
>   size (over 70MB each) so I have to use bdiff.

I'm not familiar with bdiff.  Have you tried diff from GNU diffutils?

Quote:>   Also Comm -13 yesterdayfile todayfile outputs some rows that exist
>   in both files for some reason (the content is the same, but
>   located on different line numbers).

comm assumes that the files are sorted, so this is expected behaviour.

Quote:>   There seems to be a problem with the way white spacing is handled
>   by bdiff.

Use -b to ignore changes in whitespace.

--
Kjetil T.               abusing standards for the greater good

1. 2 diff. xservers and diff. resolutions

Hi,

sorry if this is a novice question, i have searched a lot and found
nothing  that fully solve it.

we are developing an application that will have 2 monitors connected.
That will be in Solaris 2.6 most likely.

Two different resolutions and two different Xservers ( 'Xsun' for the
m64 g-card at 1280x1024 and 'Xtsi' for a 'Raptor 2K' g-card at 2048x2048
)

It has to be like that, for the moment, since AFAIK 'Xsun' does not
support the Raptor card and 'Xtsi' does not support the m64 card. Both
work fine if i start one each time as independent Xservers.

Also working when launched as two independent xservers at the same time:

     openwin -dev /dev/fb1  ( X --> /opt/X11R6/bin/Xtsi ) [The raptor
card]
     Xsun :1 -dev /dev/fb0  (the m64 card)

only problem is with keyboard and mouse, that i suppose has to be
disabled on one of the 'xservers'

i have read of X11R6.4 or Xsun in Solaris 2.7 with the '-xinerama'
option. Does X11R6.4 with xinerama option also work OK in Solaris 2.6
??.

I have also tested another commercial SW that works on several monitors
as if they were only one, but unfortunately does not support the Raptor
card.

-------------- The question:
is there any solution to start two different 'xservers' (with two diff.
resolutions) at the same time as if they were the same 'xserver'  ???.
They should pass any mouse/keyboard event to the other one when needed.

Thank you for any suggestion.

--
===============================
F. Javier Cobas

Pls. delete NOJUNKPLS. to reach me by e-mail

--
===============================
F. Javier Cobas

Pls. delete NOJUNKPLS. to reach me by e-mail

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Staroffice install failure

3. 2 diff IPs, 2 diff web srvr, 1 machine

4. Need Ip Address

5. IRC 2.8 racing under Linux(diff GCC's, diff kernels)

6. 2.4.3 tcp window id causes problems talking to windows clients

7. diff tool that can do intraline diffs?

8. Which Linux CDs are legal to export from US?

9. diff DNS server on diff NIC

10. Diff consoles, diff resolutions?

11. Is it possible to have 2 diff posix threads waiting on 2 diff sockets?

12. need some direction with ibm7337 diff scsi diff tape

13. diff. between /usr/vac/bin/xlc & /usr/bin/xlc