xmodmap trouble for assigning alt and meta key

xmodmap trouble for assigning alt and meta key

Post by Ronn » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I try to access Solaris from an NT machine (I use Chameleon for this,
but I don't believe this fact is important). Since I still would like
to have an Alt-Key and a Meta-Key, I wanted to customize the system
such that the left Alt-Key on the PC would behave like the original
Alt-Key of the Sun Workstation, and the right Control Key on the
PC would behave like Sun's Meta key.

Note that in a native Sun environment (without PC involved),
xmodmap -pm displays the following:

shift       Shift_L (0x6a),  Shift_R (0x75)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x7e)
control     Control_L (0x53)
mod1        Alt_L (0x1a)
mod2        Mode_switch (0x14)
mod3        Num_Lock (0x69)
mod4        Meta_L (0x7f)
mod5        F13 (0x20),  F18 (0x50),  F20 (0x68)

When accessing this from the PC I already got my configuration so far:

(1) Attempt to remap the left Alt Key

    xmodmap -pm displays for mod1:

        mod1        Mode_switch (0x8),  Mode_switch (0xf),  Alt_L (0x12)

    xmodmap -pk displays for Alt_L:

        18         0xffe9 (Alt_L)

    xev shows for pressing the left Alt key:

        state 0x0, keycode 18 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L)

    Nevertheless, the left Alt Key still behaves like Meta.

(2) Attempt to remap the right Control key:

    xmodmap -pm displays for mod4

        mod4        Mode_switch (0x8),  Control_R (0xe)

    and xmodmap -pk displays

        14         0xffe4 (Control_R)

    and xev says

        state 0x0, keycode 14 (keysym 0xffe4, Control_R)

    Nevertheless, the right Control key acts like a dead key. For
    instance, if I hit Control_R together with "x", it simply inserts
    the letter x at point.

From what I see, I believe that I should have done everything right,
but Emacs still does not get the right keys (as neither do any other
application tested - but I believe if I get Emacs working, the other
ones would work too).

Any suggestion welcome!

Ronald
--

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ronald_fischer/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Kai.Grossjoh.. » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

  > I try to access Solaris from an NT machine (I use Chameleon for this,
  > but I don't believe this fact is important). Since I still would like
  > to have an Alt-Key and a Meta-Key, I wanted to customize the system
  > such that the left Alt-Key on the PC would behave like the original
  > Alt-Key of the Sun Workstation, and the right Control Key on the
  > PC would behave like Sun's Meta key.

You should use xmodmap to assign the keysym Meta_L to the key which
should behave like a Meta key, and Alt_L to the key which should
behave like Alt.  And "xmodmap -pm | egrep 'mod1|mod4'" should print:

,-----
| mod1 Meta_L
| mod4 Alt_L
`-----

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [OK]  [Cancel]

1. xmodmap - dead keys, alt keys, help!

: Preliminary info: I have the slackware distribution that had the 1.2.3
: kernel on it, and have since built kernel 1.2.13. I have the version of
: XFree86 that came with the kernel. And I think what I'm trying to do
: doesn't work just because I'm doing it wrong. :-)

Slight mistake: I have the version of XFree86 tha came with the above
described version of slackware, not the kernel. But I guess you all had
figured that out...

: --

: |"A space is made by telephone/They thought time would be overthrown/ |
: |And they compiled a wished list/From Mars to duels to a dish kissed/ |
: |I tried to talk to the ishist/But he was debating with his clone/    |
: |I Superabound, but I still got nothing to do"          - Frank Black |
: +---------------------------------------------------------------------+

--

|"A space is made by telephone/They thought time would be overthrown/ |
|And they compiled a wished list/From Mars to duels to a dish kissed/ |
|I tried to talk to the ishist/But he was debating with his clone/    |
|I Superabound, but I still got nothing to do"          - Frank Black |

2. Network card trouble

3. Alt Key, Meta Key on Solaris 5.7 X terminal?

4. Xyplex Terminal Server

5. ALT key, Meta Key on Solaris 5.7 Xterminal

6. HP LASERJET4L SETUP and FILTERS.

7. xmodmap, Meta key Grrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. recursive grep'ing

9. SOLVED: Alt/AltGr keys and german xmodmap

10. Using <ALT> as META-key in TCSH.

11. How to detect control, alt or meta key pressed

12. ALT (or META) key doesn't work in syscons.

13. meta/alt key doesn't work from remotely launched emacs