mtools for solaris 2.4 x86

Post by C.P. » Fri, 09 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi All,

      I recently installed mtools 2.0.7 on my solaris 2.4 x86 system. The
programs seem to compile/run with no problem. But I am having a little
trouble with the target drive. For example, I want to copy a file from
the current directory into the floppy (a: drive). But when I type something
like "mcopy sample.txt a:sample.txt", it gives me a message saying that the
device is busy (of course, I wasn't using the drive at the time). The
program doesn't seem recongize "a:". What other things do I have to do in
order to solve this problem? Thank you in advance for the help.

mtools for solaris 2.4 x86

Post by Daniel Ro » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Hi All,
Hi!

:       I recently installed mtools 2.0.7 on my solaris 2.4 x86 system. The
: programs seem to compile/run with no problem. But I am having a little
: trouble with the target drive. For example, I want to copy a file from
: the current directory into the floppy (a: drive). But when I type something
: like "mcopy sample.txt a:sample.txt", it gives me a message saying that the
: device is busy (of course, I wasn't using the drive at the time). The
: program doesn't seem recongize "a:". What other things do I have to do in
: order to solve this problem? Thank you in advance for the help.

Seems to me that volume management is running.
You need to comment out the line
use floppy drive ...
in /etc/vold.conf (or remove the file if you don't need volume management
at all, for example you don't have a CD-ROM and use mtools for floppy)
Or you can use volmgt instead.
After inserting a floppy type `volcheck` and you should find the contents
in /floppy/floppy0. You can then use this directory like a normal Unix
filesystem. Ejecting the floppy dismounts it automatically.

Daniel Rock

mtools for solaris 2.4 x86

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00

 >Hi All,
 >
 >      I recently installed mtools 2.0.7 on my solaris 2.4 x86 system. The
 >programs seem to compile/run with no problem. But I am having a little
 >trouble with the target drive. For example, I want to copy a file from
 >the current directory into the floppy (a: drive). But when I type something
 >like "mcopy sample.txt a:sample.txt", it gives me a message saying that the
 >device is busy (of course, I wasn't using the drive at the time). The
 >program doesn't seem recongize "a:". What other things do I have to do in
 >order to solve this problem? Thank you in advance for the help.

There is a patch for mtools somewhere that takes care of this.  The simpler
solution is to comment out the line in /etc/vold.conf that tells vol manager
to check the floppy.  Installing SunPC or wabi does this too.  The section
of vold.conf from my SPARC 5 running Solaris 2.3:

# Devices to use
use cdrom drive /dev/dsk/c0t6 dev_cdrom.so cdrom0
# The next line is commented out to disable Floppy Volume Management for SunPC
#use floppy drive /dev/diskette dev_floppy.so floppy0

I do not remember having to do anything else to get mtools to work.

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)810-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst.    /   _____  ______

  Web admin:  chimera,nn,tin,jove,kermit - free's best!/________/ /  /  / /

1. Solaris 2.4: making mtools work?

Is there something obvious I am missing on making it work? Used it
for years under SunOS. The only mention about making it work in the
Solaris FAQ is to change the device name to /vol/dev/rdiskette0.
Doesn't work, gives:
         mdir: Cannot initialize 'A:'

My users like window managers like fvwm, so using the File Manager is out.

--
The current War on Some Drugs is just part of the War on the US Constitution.

2. MacWeek sticks the boot into LinuxPPC

3. mtools in Solaris 2.4

4. Multiple IP addresses for one network port

5. PPP on Solaris 2.4 for Sparc, Matrox PCI Millenium Card under Solaris 2.5 x86

6. p3nfsd.pl8 -- Psion now mountable via NFS on Solaris 2.3/2.4

7. Solaris 2.4 x86: How to sync Solaris and CMOS time?

8. !!!Help me!!!

9. moving from SPARC solaris 2.3 to x86 solaris 2.4

10. Solaris PPP/Slip for Solaris 2.4 for the x86

11. Solaris x86 and UnixWare (was: Re: Solaris 2.4 -- feature list)

12. Solaris x86 2.4 && firewall sendmail problem

13. Solaris 2.4 x86, nanosleep workaround