Losing tabs from unix mail to MS Exchange

Losing tabs from unix mail to MS Exchange

Post by Daniel Jone » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I need to email a flat ASCII text file from a Solaris system to email
accounts handled by Microsoft Exchange.
The problem is that when users view the message, the file is poorly
formatted due to loss of tab characters.

I'm emailing from UNIX from within a shell script with the command:

mailx -s 'subject' address < file

It would be nice to be able to get round this by either automatically
reformatting the text file replacing the tabs with white space (any
filters out there?), or to email the file as an attachment (from the
command line).

Has anyone had a similar experience and worked out a solution other than
completely re-writing the report generator?

Many thanks in advance.

--
Daniel Jones

Post by Rich Tee » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I need to email a flat ASCII text file from a Solaris system to email
> accounts handled by Microsoft Exchange.
> The problem is that when users view the message, the file is poorly
> formatted due to loss of tab characters.

Tell your lusers that they should view the email using a fixed width
font, like Courier.  Not sure what would happen to the tabs, though.
I guess you could always pipe the email through expand before sending
it...

Alternatively, tell them to get their act together and use a Real
OS.  ;-)

--
Rich Teer

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Risc Key Developments Ltd
Voice: +44 (0)1256 330612
WWW: www.rkdltd.demon.co.uk

Losing tabs from unix mail to MS Exchange

Post by Chris Raymon » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Do a 'man expand'.  Good luck.

Chris Raymond

> I need to email a flat ASCII text file from a Solaris system to email
> accounts handled by Microsoft Exchange.
> The problem is that when users view the message, the file is poorly
> formatted due to loss of tab characters.

> I'm emailing from UNIX from within a shell script with the command:

> mailx -s 'subject' address < file

> It would be nice to be able to get round this by either automatically
> reformatting the text file replacing the tabs with white space (any
> filters out there?), or to email the file as an attachment (from the
> command line).

> Has anyone had a similar experience and worked out a solution other than
> completely re-writing the report generator?

> Many thanks in advance.

> --
> Daniel Jones

Losing tabs from unix mail to MS Exchange

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>I need to email a flat ASCII text file from a Solaris system to email
>accounts handled by Microsoft Exchange.
>The problem is that when users view the message, the file is poorly
>formatted due to loss of tab characters.
>I'm emailing from UNIX from within a shell script with the command:
>mailx -s 'subject' address < file
>It would be nice to be able to get round this by either automatically
>reformatting the text file replacing the tabs with white space (any
>filters out there?), or to email the file as an attachment (from the
>command line).

"expand" is a standard filter that comes with the OS; it expands
all spaces to tabs

(unexpand does the reverse)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Losing tabs from unix mail to MS Exchange

Post by Thomas H Jon » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I need to email a flat ASCII text file from a Solaris system to email
>accounts handled by Microsoft Exchange.
>The problem is that when users view the message, the file is poorly
>formatted due to loss of tab characters.

>I'm emailing from UNIX from within a shell script with the command:

>mailx -s 'subject' address < file

you should be able to do the following and have TABs stay as tabs and normal
whitespaces stay as single white spaces:

   sed 's/^I/     /g' {file} | /usr/ucb/mailx -s 'subject' {recipient}

where '^I' is CTRL-I and '     ' is five space characters.

-tom

--

"You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer."  --me

1. Unix Mail & MS Exchange Mail

Help.

We have two servers in house.

NT 4 SP3.      Sco Unix Open Server 5.

I have exchange configured so users on PC's can exchane mail using the
postoffice located on the Exchange server.

1.) Is it possible for people using Unix mail to send mai lto PC users and
vice versa.

2.) Where do I start

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

2. Finger info and ppp.secret

3. UNIX Mail -> MS Exchange

4. Large Hard Drives and Linux

5. MS Exchange and Unix mail integration

6. aic7xxx, DV failed to configure device

7. Problem sending smtp unix mail through MS Exchange server to outside

8. openwindows

9. Linux mail server with MS-Mail/Exchange

10. reading MS Exchange Mail in Linux

11. Sending Internet mail through MS Exchange

12. Forwarding Linux mail to MS SMTP/Exchange server

13. Access to MS Exchange mail