uninstalling perl

Post by mik » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 18:30:56

hi

for security reasons, i would like to pkgrm the perl distribution that
ships with solaris  8 on my production servers. Does any of the system processes
make use of perl ? any dependencies involved with other packages??

appreciate any comments
cheers

uninstalling perl

Post by Tony Curti » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 00:16:32

>> On 19 Apr 2003 02:30:56 -0700,

> hi for security reasons, i would like to pkgrm the perl
> distribution that ships with solaris 8 on my production
> servers. Does any of the system processes make use of
> perl ? any dependencies involved with other packages??

http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q3.75

hth

uninstalling perl

Post by Darren Dunha » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 03:11:07

> hi
> for security reasons, i would like to pkgrm the perl distribution that
> ships with solaris 8 on my production servers. Does any of the system
> processes make use of perl ? any dependencies involved with other
> packages??

I have no idea how many, but there are at least some utilities that use
it.

'kstat' is one.

Since the perl package appears to not be installed at the core
installation level, my assumption is that none of the core Solaris
functionality depends on it, only other utilities... of course, I could
be wrong about that.

I did a quick search on one machine and /usr/bin/kstat was the only file
on the system that appeared to be a /usr/perl5/bin/perl script.

uninstalling perl

Post by Bart Smaalde » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 03:37:09

> hi

> for security reasons, i would like to pkgrm the perl distribution that
> ships with solaris  8 on my production servers. Does any of the system processes
> make use of perl ? any dependencies involved with other packages??

> appreciate any comments
> cheers

Leaving aside the issue that removing perl doesn't increase your security
measurably (shells are programmable as well...), you can examine the
dependencies in /var/sadm/pkg.  I don't have Solaris 8 handy, but on
my Solaris 10 machine:

carnot% pkginfo | egrep -i Perl
system      IPLTpldap                        PerLDAP
system      SUNWpl5m                         Perl 5.6.1 Reference Manual Pages
system      SUNWpl5p                         Perl 5.6.1 (POD Documentation)
system      SUNWpl5u                         Perl 5.6.1 (core)
system      SUNWpl5v                         Perl 5.6.1 (non-core)
carnot% cd /var/sadm/pkg
carnot% egrep -l SUNWpl5 `find . -name depend`
./SUNWpl5v/install/depend
./SUNWesu/install/depend
./IPLTcons/install/depend
./IPLTpldap/install/depend
./IPLTdsr/install/depend
./IPLTdsu/install/depend
./IPLTadmin/install/depend
./SUNWpl5m/install/depend
./SUNWpl5p/install/depend
./SUNWapchu/install/depend
./SUNWapct/install/depend
./SUNWsndmu/install/depend
./SUNWtexi/install/depend
carnot%

On Solaris 8 I would imagine there were fewer dependencies....

- Bart

uninstalling perl

Post by Oscar del Ri » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 08:00:07

Quote:> [...]
> I don't have Solaris 8 handy, but on
> my Solaris 10 machine:

Show off!  ;-)

uninstalling perl

Post by mik » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:27:48

> hi

> for security reasons, i would like to pkgrm the perl distribution that
> ships with solaris  8 on my production servers. Does any of the system processes
> make use of perl ? any dependencies involved with other packages??

> appreciate any comments
> cheers

thanks for all the comments
cheers