17.2 GB EIDE for sparc ?

Post by wwwad.. » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

is it possible to use an 17.2 GB EIDE maxtor harddisk at a sparc station
?
Or which sizes ar supported ?
Bye                Christian

17.2 GB EIDE for sparc ?

Post by John V » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: Hello,

: is it possible to use an 17.2 GB EIDE maxtor harddisk at a sparc station
: ?
: Or which sizes ar supported ?
: Bye                Christian

I don't think so. I think Sparcs only can take SCSI disks.

--
John D. Vo

http://www.inx.net/~jvo

17.2 GB EIDE for sparc ?

Post by Timothy J. L » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

|: is it possible to use an 17.2 GB EIDE maxtor harddisk at a sparc station
|
|I don't think so. I think Sparcs only can take SCSI disks.

Some SPARC computers, like the Sun Ultra 5 computer, have EIDE
controllers.

17.2 GB EIDE for sparc ?

Post by Death Walke » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

UltraSPARC 5/10 are the only machines that will use IDE drives.  Sun
*should* make drivers to support them.

All other SPARCstations won't support them without an adapter card (if
one exists?).

Solaris x86 also supports them, although on Pc hardware.

 my opions are mine and do not represent my employer
                         and
                 I have brain damage
                          so
don't take life so seriosly, you won't get out alive!

17.2 GB EIDE for sparc ?

Post by Wieland Stuebinge » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

SPARCStations only have SCSI
Ultra stations 5 and 10 have internal ide
Ultra 1/2/30/60 have SCSI or WSCSI

Bye
    stuebiqstuebi.de

> |: is it possible to use an 17.2 GB EIDE maxtor harddisk at a sparc station
> |
> |I don't think so. I think Sparcs only can take SCSI disks.

> Some SPARC computers, like the Sun Ultra 5 computer, have EIDE
> controllers.

> --

> Unsolicited bulk or commercial email is not welcome.             netcom.com
> No warranty of any kind is provided with this message.

1. 17.2 Gb disk in Sparc 5

I have researched several faq's and through the archives of this news
group.

I have discovered that x86 can only "see" a maximum of 8Gb IDE hard
drive. Is this the same for Sparc stations ?

We have an 18 Gb disk (SCSI)in an ULTRA 1 but in our ULTRA 5 we have
just replaced the hard drive with a 17 Gb (IDE) one. However it will
only allow me to customize the file system to a maximum of the
aforementioed 8 Gb.

Is there any way that I can get access to the other 9 GB ?

Daz

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. HELP: shell script to change filenames to lower-case?

3. Fdisk and Maxtor 4320 17.2 Gb disk partitions

4. killing absolute symlinks

5. LINUX and EIDE 1.6 GB drive

6. Next RS/6000 User's Group Conference..

7. FDISK and 2 GB EIDE Disk

8. log for pppd

9. 1 GB EIDE drive and DOS--Help

10. 20 GB EIDE disk on Solaris 2.5.1