HELP ON SWAP SPACE

Post by yu.. » Sun, 29 Mar 1998 04:00:00

HI All.

We have a SunOS 4.2 server with 925 MB swap space (as partitioned) after
rebooting.  Recently we get this strange problem:  each time someone runs a
big program, it eats all the swap space (under /tmp), and even after the
program finishes, the swap space does not return (eventually the server
freezes).  We check ps  -ef, there is no big mem program running. So we have
to reboot the server to get the swap space back.

What is wrong here?

Thanks.

-SYZ

1. plenty of swap space, but keep receiving error "swap space limit exceeded"

Syslog reports
  unix: WARNING: /tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded

But

  Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
  swap                 2423720   48480 2375240     3%    /tmp

The host:
  SunOS <hostname> 5.7 Generic_106541-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

I ran vmstat 1 for some time and watched for available swap space to
go to zero. But the lowest it would go is 75kB.

When analyzing this problem, I ran into the following error twice, but
for different commands:
  Can't run command <command>
  fork(2) failed; no more memory

What's going on?

Thanks.

2. Backup questions

3. Try to mount a seocn SWAP space-- error" unable to find swap space signature"

4. HP Deskjet 1600CM/Solaris/PLP/Samba ...

5. Is swap space in SCO only swap space or is it consider virtual memory

6. tcpd: can it determine the port?

7. Allocated swap space versus used swap space

8. OpenBSD on Sparc 4

9. Adding swap space using 'swap -a' command ?

10. Only 16MB swap space with 30 MB swap file ?

11. How to remove swap partition/swap space

12. Same space for OS/2 swap file/Linux swap partition?

13. Swap pager question ( out of swap space )