single threaded vs. multi threaded

Post by omar_hashmi.. » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 10:03:47

1. Which programs lend themselves to be single threaded?
2. Which programs lend themselves to be multi threaded?
3. How to convert a multi threaded program to single threaded program?

Post by llotha » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 19:07:37

> 1. Which programs lend themselves to be single threaded?
> 2. Which programs lend themselves to be multi threaded?
> 3. How to convert a multi threaded program to single threaded program?

Sorry there are no general purpose answers to your questions.

Get a book about mulitthreading and read the introduction. Normally
this should help you to understand something about multithreading.

single threaded vs. multi threaded

Post by Paul Floy » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 05:04:12

Quote:> 1. Which programs lend themselves to be single threaded?
> 2. Which programs lend themselves to be multi threaded?
> 3. How to convert a multi threaded program to single threaded program?

Try www.amazon.com. There are at least 5 books that I know of on the
subject. They'll probably give you a far more thorough treatment than
you can expect on usenet, if you are looking for a serious and complete
solution.

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd                 http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)
Surgery: ennobled Gerald.

Post by Gary & Terrie Meerschaer » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 09:20:32

> 1. Which programs lend themselves to be single threaded?
> 2. Which programs lend themselves to be multi threaded?
> 3. How to convert a multi threaded program to single threaded program?

You post raises some questions.
   1) Are you talking about multi vs single user programs?
   2) Are you wondering about making programs memory resident for
multiple users?
   3) Are you wishing to utilize parallel processing to speed clock time
for a large application?
   4) For the last problem, Why do you wish to make the conversion?

Gary and Terrie Meerschaert

Post by from the » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 09:47:58

> 1. Which programs lend themselves to be single threaded?
> 2. Which programs lend themselves to be multi threaded?
> 3. How to convert a multi threaded program to single threaded program?

You forgot to post the email address of your teacher!

If you do that, then we can submit answers directly, saving internet
bandwidth and saving you the hassle of forwarding them on.

--
Dave K     MCSE.

http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica frontend)

Post by Dimitri Maziu » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 11:24:04

Quote:> 1. Which programs lend themselves to be single threaded?
> 2. Which programs lend themselves to be multi threaded?
> 3. How to convert a multi threaded program to single threaded program?

1. All of them.
2. On  modern system (as in "low-cost process creation"), none really.
3. cat mt_program.c | sed 's/multi/single/g' > st_program.c

HTH
Dima
--
Tlaloc: What was Elrond's second name?

Post by vardhas » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 20:24:36

> 1. Which programs lend themselves to be single threaded?
> 2. Which programs lend themselves to be multi threaded?
> 3. How to convert a multi threaded program to single threaded program?

Hi Omar

1. If you want sequential execution of logic steps, then single
threaded program will do the job
2. If your logic allows for parallel or simultaneous execution of
programming steps without hindering or corrupting the output, then
multithreaded programs are the call of the day
3. If you can convert your parallel logic to that of a sequential
execution instead of concurrent execution, then the program is
single-threaded.

Of course the above is based on programming logic, but if you talk
about programming then there are calls which will create threads and
you can assign each thread a logic to execute independently of the
other threads, or to have some sort of hand-shake among threads so that
they all proceed is a timely manner and converge on an output.

Hope these answer your above queries.

Regards

Vardhan