Solaris 2.4 + RAID7 = file system problems?

Solaris 2.4 + RAID7 = file system problems?

Post by Jens-Uwe Mag » Fri, 08 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I have a customer that is experiencing frequent file system corruption on
his RAID7 drive array under load. All kind of hard links to other files
and directories pop up after a few hours of use. Does this sound familar
to anybody?

Brahmsstr. 3                    Tel.: +49 511 660238

Post by Michael E Wille » Fri, 08 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>I have a customer that is experiencing frequent file system corruption on
>his RAID7 drive array under load. All kind of hard links to other files
>and directories pop up after a few hours of use. Does this sound familar
>to anybody?

>Brahmsstr. 3                    Tel.: +49 511 660238

Sun appears to have fixed all its problems with its SCSI controller.
Sun now has many Solaris patches to fix the Solaris SCSI problem.
Contact your Sun technical rep to get the appropriate Solaris patches
for your installation.  (Since you are in Hannover, you could get
briefed on all this from the Storage Computer technical reps at
the Cebit computer show.)

Mike Willett
Storage Computer
Nashua, NH
http://www.storage.com/

Post by Thor Lancelot Sim » Tue, 12 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>I have a customer that is experiencing frequent file system corruption on
>his RAID7 drive array under load. All kind of hard links to other files
>and directories pop up after a few hours of use. Does this sound familar
>to anybody?

Yes, of course.  He's using "RAID 7".  He's having problems.  What did he
expect?  That's why one never should buy from sleazoids who advertise in the
newsgroups. :-)

I was almost ROTFL at Usenix when I heard that people kept going up to
StorComp's vendor display while they were trying to talk to prosepctive
marks^H^H^H^H^Hcustomers and suggesting that it was a bad idea to buy from
people who polluted newsgroups with commercial dreck...
--

                        love is an angel disguised as lust

Solaris 2.4 + RAID7 = file system problems?

Post by Michael E Wille » Wed, 13 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hi Thor.  The posting was from a software firm in Germany that has its
application software going into a new imaging installation in France.  The
Software Engineer in France was not familiar with all the required SCSI
patches to Solaris, and this information is being provided to him.  The
installation in France is being performed by a leading firm in that country
with advanced systems integration skills, so it should proceed very nicely.

Quote:>I was almost ROTFL at Usenix when I heard that people kept going up to

Storage Computer usually exhibits at the USENIX shows and finds them to
be excellent. I believe they are going to exhibit at the next one also.
I think it's in Chicago.

BTW, Thor, in view of your interest in RAID, you (and other New Yorkers)
might want to apply for one of those RAID engineer jobs they have open
in the NY/NJ area.  There's an opportunity for a lot of local travel
regarding installs at customer sites.

Mike Willett
Storage Computer
Nashua, NH
http://www.storage.com
Tel 603-880-3005

Solaris 2.4 + RAID7 = file system problems?

Post by Michael E Wille » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Thor

Quote:>...(mentions RAID 7 performance)

RAID 7's high  performance is fully documented in the full-page RAID 7
article in the February 26, 1996 Computerworld.  A systems software
company, a university, an oil and gas company and a telecommunications
company evaluated their RAID 7 performance as A, A+, A and A.  "Every
user interviewed was ecstatic about RAID 7's performance, partly
because it blows away the older direct-access storage device (DASD)
they had used.  But mostly the users were ecstatic because RAID 7 has
architectural characteristics that make it scream...(A user), who boots
his Windows NT servers directly off the RAID 7 box, says it does so
with incredible speed. 'Our NT server with a good SCSI disk system took
between three and four minutes to boot.  Now it takes only 45 seconds.'"

Quote:>...(mentions Storage Computer RAID 7 exhibitions at USENIX LISA

conferences)

The next USENIX LISA conference will take place in September in Chicago.
They are already looking for technical papers to be presented.  Details
are available at http://www.usenix.org/

BTW, Thor is an accomplished photographer with some good JPG photos
on his WWW page.  (Storage Computer has recently started presenting its
big WWW photos in JPG also, for maximum WWW loading speed.)

Mike Willett

Storage Computer Corp.
Nashua, NH USA
http://www.storage.com/
Tel 603-880-3005

1. solaris 2.4 file system stability

hello,
even if I only have a vague description of a feeling, I'd like to hear
other opinions to my observation: Since I upgrades our main server
(a Sparcenter 2000) to Solaris 2.4, I have the fsck the filesystem
by hand after every crash. Even after a controlled reboot with
lots of sync and /etc/reboot, the machine found not clean filesystems
and I had to run fsck by hand. I never observed such a behaviour of the
same hardware which run over a year under 2.3 quite sattisfying.

Does anybody observe simmilary behaviour ? Or is there even a technical
explanation for that ? Or is it maybe the journaled filesystem, which I
thought to hear once in a marketing quote and which just needs the right
patch to operate ?

thanks

martin

--
Martin Peter, ETH Zuerich         http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~mpeter

ISG Gloriastrasse 35                      tel:    41 1 632 5286
8092 Zurich/ Switzerland                  fax:    41 1 632 1194

2. Console ownership???

3. looking for SOLARIS 2.4 File System Interface

4. linux floopy distro

5. Maximum File System Size with Solaris 2.4

6. Linux on Intel board

7. Features of Solaris 2.4 journaled file system ?

8. Which terminal ?

9. Free Space on file system (Solaris 2.4)

10. SunOS file system under Solaris 2.4

11. Free Space on file system (Solaris 2.4)

12. Solaris 2.4, automountd not properly mounting file systems w/ NIS+

13. file system size limit on solaris 2.4/sparc