Need help with resetting NIS+ user passwds

Need help with resetting NIS+ user passwds

Post by Dave Wilbe » Fri, 11 May 2001 04:13:14

Here is my dilemma. . . Our sysadmins get tons of requests for password
resets because they forgot their new password or haven't logged in for a
long time and can't remember.

What I need is a script or something simple that my helpdesk personnel
can run that will reset an individuals password in NIS+ to a default
password, like "dummy".

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Dave Wilber

Post by Neil W Ricker » Fri, 11 May 2001 06:43:55

>Here is my dilemma. . . Our sysadmins get tons of requests for password
>resets because they forgot their new password or haven't logged in for a
>long time and can't remember.
>What I need is a script or something simple that my helpdesk personnel
>can run that will reset an individuals password in NIS+ to a default
>password, like "dummy".

If you are always restoring to the same thing, independing of the
user (a bad idea IMO), then keep a copy of the encrypted version
somewhere in a file (preferably unreadable).  Use shell scripts to
build the revised shadow data, then pipe it into "nisaddent shadow".
While you are about it, you should probably reset their DES
credentials to match (use nisaddcred with the "-l" option).

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Fri, 11 May 2001 22:17:34

> Here is my dilemma. . . Our sysadmins get tons of requests for password
> resets because they forgot their new password or haven't logged in for a
> long time and can't remember.

Sounds like a user problem with no easy solution. You can't force them to
remember (impossible), you can't tell them to write their password down (bad),
and you can't withhold resetting their password to leverage them into
remembering it next time (lost productivity and bad support makes manager
crazy).

Quote:> What I need is a script or something simple that my helpdesk personnel
> can run that will reset an individuals password in NIS+ to a default
> password, like "dummy".

> Any suggestions?

You'll definitely need to get "expect" to make your script work. Basically,
script the passwd and newkey commands.

1. Need help with NIS+, addding users, changing passwds, etc.

Help!

I'm a sys admin (6 years) with Sun OS 4.1.x just migrating to Solaris 2.5
and trying to usr NIS+.  The problem is that I'm not clear on adding
users to the NIS+ system and changing passwords seems not to work
correctly.  I've read the documentation, but have yet to come across
anything that explains the procedure adequately.  I get error about the
new password not decoding, secret keys not decrypting, etc.

I'd also like to know, when replicating the NIS+ server, do I want to do
a root replica? or what?  Root replica seems to only copy the root files.
 I expected the root replica to copy the whole NIS+ database.

Basically the system seems to work otherwise, machines are talking to
each other, etc.

I've not been able to get any help from our support provider.
Exasperating!

Thanks in advance.

Garrett Curtis
Lehr Precision Inc.
513-489-9800 x109

2. werd errors on login

3. Help with non-anonymous users via NIS passwds

4. problems patching kernel

5. reset nis passwd for users under 2.5, how??

6. filesystem question - what happens once a file reaches the 4 Gig limit on ext2fs?

7. Help - want to add users and passwds not as root.

8. Problems with rsh, .rhosts and hosts.equiv (Maybe...)

9. NIS+ user management [Was: Re: root changing a user's password (NIS)]

10. help!Need to generate passwds and nicknames!