Timeout Idle Users

Post by Jim » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I am looking for something to logout users if their session has been idle
for a certain period of time.  I am running Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Jim

Timeout Idle Users

Post by David S » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I am looking for something to logout users if their session has been idle
> for a certain period of time.  I am running Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6.

> Any suggestions?

Try 'idled' at ftp://ftp.cs.hope.edu/pub/idled

> Thank you,

> Jim

David S.

...     flybane.berkeley.edu

Timeout Idle Users

Post by Randy Styk » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I am looking for something to logout users if their session has been idle
> for a certain period of time.  I am running Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6.

> Any suggestions?

There is a program called idled that is publically available.
It has a restriction in that it looks at keyboard activity.
Our company sells a product called LOGMON that uses CPU usage
for your process, and any child processes, to decide who is
really active.  Thus LOGMON won't log off a user running a long
job with no keyboard activity.  It can vary the inactivity time
by user, time of day, etc.  For details, send a message to

| 4N165 Wood Dale Road           Phone:  630/941-7767             |
| Addison, Illinois  60101 USA   Fax:    630/941-7714             |

Timeout Idle Users

Post by J. Curt » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Look for a program called "idled".

> I am looking for something to logout users if their session has been idle
> for a certain period of time.  I am running Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6.

> Any suggestions?

> Thank you,

> Jim

1. user accounting & idle timeout

Hi,

For those Linux, UNIX experts, would you kindly teach how to extract
info from /var/adm/wtmp? I know it store user login, logout time and I
want to do user logon time accounting. I heard that there is a command
'ac' will show user logon time but I can't find it on my system
(Slackware 2.1).

Also, I want to set a idle time out for dialin user. I got 'idled' and
it most most of the time but has a major problem. It seem that the
program can't detect background process which don't require keyboard
input, such as ftp a large file and doing PPP as a client. (my server
act as a dymanic ip assign PPP server) I mean if I set the idle time out
to 15mins. Then I use ftp to get a large file which take longer than
15mins to DL, the process will stop half way and the user will be logout.
And all PPP access won't longer than 15mins. Is there any way to set the
'idled' to check the transfer activity in addition to keyboard input? Or
you guy just use a better idle timeout program?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Li On

2. asyncmap question

3. How to prevent screen locking by users and idle timeout?

4. Reading HP-UX Console

5. user accounting & idle timeout

6. How can i use Eicon X.25 card with FreeBSD? (empty)

7. Intel Arch PCI-Timeouts

8. Idle timeouts and user checking on SCO UNIX

9. Idle user timeouts?

10. killing idle users that don't seem to be idle

11. Idle-Timeout with Telnet and SSH

12. What controls idle timeout?