How "free" is Solaris 7?

Post by Lukasz Wiklend » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Sun says that you may not distribute applications developed on your free
Solaris 7 os. If you wish to distribute an application developed under
your free copy of Solaris 7 you must first pay for the os.
My questions is:
    Does this include applications released under the GNU public
licence?

Lukasz.

How "free" is Solaris 7?

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Sun says that you may not distribute applications developed on your free
>Solaris 7 os. If you wish to distribute an application developed under
>your free copy of Solaris 7 you must first pay for the os.
>My questions is:
>    Does this include applications released under the GNU public
>licence?

Unless the Solaris license makes an explicit exception for this, I don't
see why it would make any difference what kind of license you plan on using
with your application.

How "free" is Solaris 7?

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Sun says that you may not distribute applications developed on your free
>Solaris 7 os.

no, it says you may not use it for PROFIT.

so if you're giving away free software, I believe you can legally do it on the
"free" version of solaris.

The word of the day is mispergitude

How "free" is Solaris 7?

Post by Thaddeus L. Olcz » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>>Sun says that you may not distribute applications developed on your free
>>Solaris 7 os.

>no, it says you may not use it for PROFIT.

>so if you're giving away free software, I believe you can legally do it on the
>"free" version of solaris.

What if you use it to work at home?
I might be doing so in the future and
I'm wondering if I have to get my employer to shell out the bucks.

How "free" is Solaris 7?

Post by Andrew Gabri » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>What if you use it to work at home?

You need to buy a full desktop licence.

Quote:>I might be doing so in the future and
>I'm wondering if I have to get my employer to shell out the bucks.

Yes. Your employer should expect to pay for your work tools.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer