WINS setting for Solaris DHCP server

Post by Eric Solomo » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

        I recently had a disaster with NT DHCP server and moved it over to a
Solaris 2.6 server.  I have everything up and running properly, and I
can successfully transmit the default gateway and subnet mask to Win95 /
NT machines, but I was wondering if I could also specify the location of
the WINS server using Solaris' native DHCP.  I browsed the man page for
dhcptab, but the closest thing I saw was NetBIOS name server.  Is this
what I'm looking for, or does this particular option not exist?

*****************
Eric Solomon
Network Administrator
Fast Track Litigation Support
(510) 834-9600

Post by Griff Miller I » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

>         I recently had a disaster with NT DHCP server and moved it over to a
> Solaris 2.6 server.  I have everything up and running properly, and I
> can successfully transmit the default gateway and subnet mask to Win95 /
> NT machines, but I was wondering if I could also specify the location of
> the WINS server using Solaris' native DHCP.  I browsed the man page for
> dhcptab, but the closest thing I saw was NetBIOS name server.  Is this
> what I'm looking for, or does this particular option not exist?

That's the one. You want :NetBNms=ip.ip.ip.ip: in your dhcptab .

--
Griff Miller II
Senior Unix/NT Sysadmin

1. Win NT DHCP server & Linux dhcp client.

I've ran into an interesting situation trying to use the DHCP client
that comes with Redhat 5.1 and the NT4.0 dhcp server. Whenever I reboot
my linux box the eventlog on the DHCP server records the issue of a NACK
for the previously assigned IP address. Even though the linux box
received the NACK it would keep the actual IP and the lease would stay
valid on the DHCP server. Oddly enough I noticed this after reading the
event log of a different NT machine which had several stop errors
stating that the requested IP address could not be assigned even though
there was still a lease on the DHCP server for the NT box and the
address had stayed the same for the past several months.

Today I decided to place a sniffer on the machines and see what is
actually happening. Unfortunately the NT machine didn't have a problem
and everything went as it should with the transaction and there were no
NACK's. I tried the same thing with the Linux box and came up with
different results:

The Linux box requested the same address it already had a lease for and
received a NACK. Netmon reported that the field option was invalid.

The options it used were:
Requested Address = nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
Message Type = DHCP Request
Maximum DHCP Message Size = (Legnth: 2) 02 24
Parameter Request List = (Legnth: 8) 01 03 06 0c 0f 1c 2a 28
Client Class information = (Legnth: 17) 3C 11 4C 69 6E 75 78 20 32 2E 30
2E 33 34 20 69 35 38 36 (<.Linux.2.0.34.i586)

The Linux box sent out a Discover packet with the same Parameter's,
Message size, and Vendor information. The next packet the linux box sent
out had the exzact same options with a different IP that the server
suggested and the addition of a lease expiration data and server
identifer. The packet was label as malformed becuase of the field option
and no nack was sent.

So here's what I trying to find out... Does the NT dhcp server support
the Client Class information option? If not is this at all related to
the NACK's that are being issued for no appearent reason? Does anyone
have any hypothesis about why the pattern suddenly occured and then
dissapeared on the NT box and looks to be displaying the same
unreliability on the Linux Box?

Any help in figuring this one out would be greately appreciated,
Steve

2. _POSIX_SOURCE, _XOPEN_SOURCE ????

3. DHCP Win 2000 client with ISC DHCP server

4. PC-9800 subarch. support for 2.5.61 (0/26) summary

5. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

6. RH5.0 install via CD-ROM w/ 3 IDE devices

7. EN-9400P3 ethernet card problems

8. Solaris DHCP server -> win client

9. Setting up a linux dhcp client with a win98 dhcp server??

10. How DHCP Client can auto set a static IP, when connect to DHCP Server fail ?

11. Setting of DHCP server in Solaris 2.5.1

12. Linux DHCP and Win'95 DHCP Client??