How to go back to OpenWin?

Post by Chris Kozlowsk » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

After years of using CDE, I have decided that I really don't like it at all.

Is there one file responsible for the initial question "Do you want to use
Openwindows or CDE" that I could kill and have the system ask me
that question again?

I could probably find this out but it is easier to ask everyone :-)

Thanks!

How to go back to OpenWin?

Post by hans maye » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>> After years of using CDE, I have decided that I really don't like it at all.

i agree

Quote:>> Is there one file responsible for the initial question "Do you want to use
>> Openwindows or CDE" that I could kill and have the system ask me
>> that question again?

>   This capability was built into the GUI login.  If you look at the [Options]
>button, then Sessions, you can choose OpenWindows directly.  Then your login
>will stay with OpenWindows until such time as you choose 'cde' again.

or remove /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin
and start openwin manually after login

( and i never understood why this is in rc2.d if default
runlevel is 3 ?? )

--
best regards from vienna           |   mayer (at) unisys.co.at_SPAM
hans                               |   mayer (at) relay.bfl.at_SPAM

How to go back to OpenWin?

Post by Chris Thomps » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:

>or remove /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin

Or use "dtconfig -d" to do it for you.

Quote:>and start openwin manually after login

>( and i never understood why this is in rc2.d if default
>runlevel is 3 ?? )

The difference between level 2 and level 3 is that the latter "extend[s]
multi-user mode by making local resources available over the network",
to quote "man -s1m init". S99dtlogin isn't exporting any services.

Going to init level 3 runs the startup scripts for level 2, *and* then those
for level 3, as specified in /etc/inittab:

 s2:23:wait:/sbin/rc2   >/dev/console 2<>/dev/console </dev/console
     ^
 s3:3:wait:/sbin/rc3    >/dev/console 2<>/dev/console </dev/console
    ^

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

How to go back to OpenWin?

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>The difference between level 2 and level 3 is that the latter "extend[s]
>multi-user mode by making local resources available over the network",
>to quote "man -s1m init". S99dtlogin isn't exporting any services.

Actually it is, since the default configuration allows remote xdmcp
access via dtlogin.

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/