jumpstart and flash

Post by tony » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 06:12:27

Hello,

I want to create a Solaris 9 Blade flash image, store this on an NFS
server and then use jumpstart on the NFS server to configure the
hostname and IP based on the MAC address of 5-20 other blades.
I read the docs and know how to use jumpstart to configure multiple
hosts based on the install disks and specified packages, but cant find
the relevant bit that explains how to use jumpstart and flash.
I do incidentally want to create different flash images with different
applications thereon.
URLs to fine manuals or ideas and suggestions most welcome...

TIA

Tony

jumpstart and flash

Post by Bruce D Porte » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 06:19:39

> Hello,

> I want to create a Solaris 9 Blade flash image, store this on an NFS
> server and then use jumpstart on the NFS server to configure the hostname
> and IP based on the MAC address of 5-20 other blades. I read the docs and
> know how to use jumpstart to configure multiple hosts based on the install
> disks and specified packages, but cant find the relevant bit that explains
> how to use jumpstart and flash. I do incidentally want to create different
> flash images with different applications thereon.
> URLs to fine manuals or ideas and suggestions most welcome...

JET JumpStart Enterprise Toolkit
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/jet/

Using the flash module, makes your task easier :-)

Download from
http://www.sun.com/download/products.xml?id=3f5e55d1

--
        Bruce

"The internet is a huge and diverse community and
not every one is friendly"
        http://www.ytc1.co.uk

jumpstart and flash

Post by Neal A. Lucie » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 06:29:25

> Hello,

> I want to create a Solaris 9 Blade flash image, store this on an NFS
> server and then use jumpstart on the NFS server to configure the
> hostname and IP based on the MAC address of 5-20 other blades.
> I read the docs and know how to use jumpstart to configure multiple
> hosts based on the install disks and specified packages, but cant find
> the relevant bit that explains how to use jumpstart and flash.
> I do incidentally want to create different flash images with different
> applications thereon.
> URLs to fine manuals or ideas and suggestions most welcome...

> TIA

> Tony

Use "flarcreate" to create the flash archive image on your initial machine.

Then in the .profile file for each of your other machines (specified in
the rules file), put these 2 lines at the top:
install_type    flash_install
archive_location nfs://hostname/path/to/flash/archives/whatever.archive

We use the following options for flarcreate, works nicely:

flarcreate      -n "nameofarchive" \
                 -a "whomeveryouare" \
                 -R / \
                 -x /var/tmp/ \
                 -x /var/log/ \
                 -x /tmp/ \
                 -x /flasharchive \
                 /flasharchive/nameofarchive

Neal

jumpstart and flash

Post by tony » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:14:48

> > Hello,

> > I want to create a Solaris 9 Blade flash image, store this on an NFS
> > server and then use jumpstart on the NFS server to configure the
> > hostname and IP based on the MAC address of 5-20 other blades.
> > I read the docs and know how to use jumpstart to configure multiple
> > hosts based on the install disks and specified packages, but cant find
> > the relevant bit that explains how to use jumpstart and flash.
> > I do incidentally want to create different flash images with different
> > applications thereon.
> > URLs to fine manuals or ideas and suggestions most welcome...

> > TIA

> > Tony

> Use "flarcreate" to create the flash archive image on your initial machine.

> Then in the .profile file for each of your other machines (specified in
> the rules file), put these 2 lines at the top:
> install_type    flash_install
> archive_location nfs://hostname/path/to/flash/archives/whatever.archive

> We use the following options for flarcreate, works nicely:

> flarcreate      -n "nameofarchive" \
>                  -a "whomeveryouare" \
>                  -R / \
>                  -x /var/tmp/ \
>                  -x /var/log/ \
>                  -x /tmp/ \
>                  -x /flasharchive \
>                  /flasharchive/nameofarchive

> Neal

OK I have understood so far - thanks!
Like the idea of using the Jumpstart Rnterprise Toolkit.
Right now on the same subnet there is already a (Solaris 8) jumpstart
server, I suppose i must turn that one off?
This one is invoked on the client with boot net - w, which gives the
client its IP address  and name (via rarp etc) and allows the user to
enter the lang, locale,..., flash file via NFS location,.., disk layout
etc.
So I expect I must add this functionality to the new (jet Sol 9)
jumpstart server which must take care of the existing sun box solaris
flash install.
Then add the new jet stuff, for the new sol9 boxes with their new flash
files residing on their different NFS server. The new clients will be
installed hands free with their nicely set up rules and profiles.
Or will they? I have two resultant questions.
Q1. As I will want to load differnt flash archives (eg one just bare
Solaris 9, one with OS + application 1, another one another one with OS
with application 2,..) how/where can I specify that?
Q2. Entering boot net - install means that an actual person has to be
on the console, can this be done as a cron job? via ssh? some other
way?

Thanks for the help so far!!

Tony

1. HELP: Jumpstarting with flash archive returns system installation errors

I am installing a jumpstart with flash archive. Jumpstart runs through
the software installation and customization, but failed right after
the archive extraction with a system installation error. I've checked
all the rules, sysidcfg, profiles, dfstab, hosts, bootparam and ethers
files. Where else could have caused these errors?

        Extracted 1036.33 MB (100% of 1036.33 MB archive)
        Extraction complete

Customizing system files
        - Mount points table (/etc/vfstab)
        - Network host addresses (/etc/hosts)

ERROR: Could not copy file (/tmp/root/etc/default/init) to
(/a/etc/default/init)

ERROR: Could not copy file (/tmp/root/etc/device.tab) to
(/a/etc/device.tab)

ERROR: Could not copy file (/tmp/root/etc/hostname.eri0) to
(/a/etc/hostname.eri
0)

ERROR: Unable to copy a temporary file to it's final location

ERROR: System installation failed

2. linux compatible usb2.0 cardbus?

3. installing from flash archives using jumpstart

4. divvy display mode

5. flash archives and Jumpstart Questions

6. How to hot-swap SCSI drives

7. HELP: Jumpstarting with flash archive returns system

8. CD-ROM Mounting

9. Jumpstart with Flash archive

10. Creating self contained jumpstart / flash install DVD

11. Flash Archive - Jumpstart

12. jumpstart with flash - different builds for same machines

13. Solaris 9/V120/Jumpstart/Flash Archives ERROR: Could not stop the extraction