Memory problem with Ultra 60

Post by Jonathan T. Rya » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I am a Unix newbie so excuse my ignorance.  I just got a ultra 60 for a
project I am working on.  The machine came built with 256 meg of ram
(4*64).  In addition we got eight 128 meg dimms.  Though I am new to
Unix, I have built and upgraded many machines.  When I installed the ram
two things happened.  1.  It didn't recognize it.  2.  After reseating
the Ram on several occations the ram got recognized but the machine
wouldn't start up past the memory initialization.  My questions are 1)
has anyone had the same experience 2) When you install solaris does the
kernal get configuered in some manner that when you upgrade the ram your
have to reinstall the kernal.

Thanks, Jon

Memory problem with Ultra 60

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am a Unix newbie so excuse my ignorance.  I just got a ultra 60 for a
>project I am working on.  The machine came built with 256 meg of ram
>(4*64).  In addition we got eight 128 meg dimms.  Though I am new to
>Unix, I have built and upgraded many machines.  When I installed the ram
>two things happened.  1.  It didn't recognize it.  2.  After reseating
>the Ram on several occations the ram got recognized but the machine
>wouldn't start up past the memory initialization.  My questions are 1)
>has anyone had the same experience 2) When you install solaris does the
>kernal get configuered in some manner that when you upgrade the ram your
>have to reinstall the kernal.

No reconfiguration is necessary.  You must make sure that the 8 SIMMS
are in "banks" (the U60 has 16 SIMM slots, two of which aren't immediately
visible under the power supply; the 16 slots are formed into
4 consecutive memory banks.

BTW, don't under estimate the amount of force you need to psuh down a SIMM
with (you won't want to break the system, but you do need to push them down
pretty hard)

I thik the U-60 is speced for 50ns memory/

Casper

be fiction rather than truth.