1. HEL PHELP RH5 incompatibilities
Having installed RH5.1 (had 4.2 before) I am discovering that it's more
of a new OS than
a new version. I knew that I'd have to recompile most stuff (new glibc)
but I sure didn't
know that most of my stuff wouldn't *even *compile!
In a nutshell the problem is include files. They seem to have changed a
whole lot. I'm
getting rafts of errors about duplicate definitions, and sho' nuff the
same code pops up
in different include files in ...include, ...include/sys,
Please tell me there is a Porting Guide for people trying to bring code
from v4 to v5.
Please tell me where to find it! I've sent mail to RedHat but it takes
a long time to
get any response out of them. Is this a BSD vs Posix conflict? Is
there a BSD->Posix
porting guide anywhere?
Case in point, the MPU 401 driver that was provided with tclmidi. Used
to work OK under
RH4. Took me hours of tracking down and manually hacking include files
to get it to
compile under 5. Obviously this is not the right way to do it. And
even then, it won't load
(even with insmod -f) complaining about not finding a kernel that
matches the revision number.
Tried the MPU 401 driver from Jazzware. It obviously hasn't been
ported, it took me a while
to get the include file errors out of the way (and even now, I'm not
sure I have the *right*
include files, since so many of them seem to do the same thing!)... and
there's no verification
suite for it other than getting the whole Jazz GUI (with a MIDI server
Anyway, if anyone else has experienced major breakage at RH5 and has
found a way out
of the maze, please tell me. Since the upgrade, my linux crate is no
longer useful for any
of the things I bought it for :-( some upgrade, huh.
:De Clarke, Software Engineer UCO/Lick Observatory,
:Web: www.ucolick.org | be solved by another level of indirection"
2. Help: a vi question
3. HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING
4. Execute commands in OS via SQL ?
5. Printing Printing Printing
6. Keeping foreign passwords using mod_proxy and mod_headers possible?
7. Print, Print, Print.....
8. can't umount /usr/
9. Linux Printing to a Linksys Pocket Print Server
10. What TCP port is used for AIX printing to print server via spooler?
11. SunOS 5.2 Print Client and BSD Print Server
12. Help required for printing through Barricade print server.
13. Print Credit Network Printing