where do download this newsgroup from net?

where do download this newsgroup from net?

Post by Dave Wresk » Sun, 13 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >Hello,I wanna download the whole article of comp.unix.solaris from net to my
> >disk and read it at my free time instead of using internet.is there a site
> >available for me?I dont mean use any other news reader,but ftp or http
> >downloading..

> get one of the utilities called "slurp", or other such things. It will
> download all the articles inthe newsgroups you specify. You can then read them
> offline, if you have a smart enough newsreader.

So what is a smart enough newsreader?  Netscape's client doesn't do it.

Perhaps it's possible to set up a mini local newsserver, so you can then use the
netscape client to read mail locally, after pulling it down with slurp (or
slrn-pull, which I really like).

I understand it's no easy task to set up INN, though.  Any other mail servers
that aren't difficult to set up?

Thanks,
Dave

Post by Philip Bro » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>> get one of the utilities called "slurp", or other such things. It will
>> download all the articles inthe newsgroups you specify. You can then read them
>> offline, if you have a smart enough newsreader.

>So what is a smart enough newsreader?  Netscape's client doesn't do it.

Anything that can read from a mailspool hierachy "directly", instead of
only through the NNRP protocol.

In other words, any news reader that has an option that defaults to something
like "/var/spool/news" somewhere.

Quote:

>Perhaps it's possible to set up a mini local newsserver, so you can then use the
>netscape client to read mail locally, after pulling it down with slurp (or
>slrn-pull, which I really like).

you can do that too, if you really really must run netscape to read news.

Quote:>I understand it's no easy task to set up INN, though.  Any other mail servers
>that aren't difficult to set up?

not for free.

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

Post by Mason » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>>Hello,I wanna download the whole article of comp.unix.solaris from net to my
>>disk and read it at my free time instead of using internet.is there a site
>>available for me?I dont mean use any other news reader,but ftp or http
>>downloading..

Try ftp://stsi.com:21/pub/lurk121.exe

It includes a news reader. All you need is a news source.