Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?

Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?

Post by atdd » Thu, 02 Oct 2003 22:48:35

Hi.

I was trying to retrieve 'mac address' via composing small program.

First, I used 'ifreq.ifr_enaddr' (<- Comment of this is '/*ethenet
address*/'.)
 with 'iotcl' and 'CSIOCGIFCONF'.
As(?) u know, I couldn't retrieve 'mac address'.
Then, I used 'arpreq.arp_ha'. I could get 'mac address'.
But, this code, using 'arpreq.arp_ha', is not working correctly in
Linux.
Ok,ok, I see. Linux is not Unix. :)

here is the point. I'm so curious what is diffrence of 'ethenet
address' from 'mac address'.

Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?
What is diffrence of 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac address'?

Your kind explaination or pointing out some useful URL will give BIG
HELP to me.

Thanks.

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 03 Oct 2003 00:23:53

>here is the point. I'm so curious what is diffrence of 'ethenet
>address' from 'mac address'.

>Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?
>What is diffrence of 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac address'?

On an Ethernet network, the Ethernet address is the MAC address.  On a
token ring network, the token ring address is the MAC address.  MAC address
is a generic term that applies to any type of media, while Ethernet address
is the term when you're talking only about Ethernet.

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA

Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?

Post by atdd » Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:23:10

Thanks for your reply, Barry.
It's very helpful.

I have asked to my fella.
All of my fella talk to me as u did.

But, why does 'ifreq.ifr_enaddr' contain another value?
What does 'ifreq.ifr_enaddr' mean?

(In my case 'ifreq.ifr_enaddr' contains '0:2:0:**:**:**'. but, mac
address is '8:0:20:**:**:**'.)

Thanks.

Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?

Post by Jaime Cardos » Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:24:08

Quote:> Ok,ok, I see. Linux is not Unix. :)

Err, this is comp.unix.SOLARIS, Linux is not, ..... SOLARIS
any way, in solaris, tyou could try ifconfig -a

Quote:

> here is the point. I'm so curious what is diffrence of 'ethenet
> address' from 'mac address'.

Same thing, different names

Quote:> Thanks.

Welcome

Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?

Post by Richard Santin » Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:23:44

technically a MAC address need not necessarily be associated with
Ethernet... however, in most contexts they are the same.

RAS

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:34:14

>Thanks for your reply, Barry.
>It's very helpful.

>I have asked to my fella.
>All of my fella talk to me as u did.

>But, why does 'ifreq.ifr_enaddr' contain another value?
>What does 'ifreq.ifr_enaddr' mean?

>(In my case 'ifreq.ifr_enaddr' contains '0:2:0:**:**:**'. but, mac
>address is '8:0:20:**:**:**'.)

Looks to me like an alignment problem -- the high-order byte of the third
octet ended up in the low order byte of the 2nd octet.  I'm not sure how
you'd get off by 1 byte like this, though.  Maybe you could post your code.

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA

1. What're '!'and'%' in email address

        I get 'xtiff.tar.z' from mirrors site , but I found bug in it and
I want to contact with owner of packages. His email are :

        I mail messages to him several times but he's very quite.
If anyone have a way to contact him please mail to me.

        Another problem : I want to contact someone by email but
his email address consists of symbol '%' or '!' that when I send
mail to him then the mail return to me because unknown user host.
Mail address is wrong , or I send it wrong method.

                                Thanks.

2. to use iptables, recommend some proper document for linux beginer?

3. sendmail: Rewriting 'from' and 'reply-to' addresses...

4. Example .netrc file needed

5. What is '%'and'!' in email address

6. 2.4.0, EtherPower II, Oversized Ethernet frame

7. cancels in 'big8 ' for 'munged' email addresses?

8. Solaris x86 binaries available

9. Will changing IP address affect 'rlogin'/'telnet'?

10. tape: can't open '/dev/rStp0': No such device or address

11. 'date' and 'clock' show different times

12. different behaviour of 'while read' and 'for' loops in bash

13. MAC 'fetch' renames '.htaccess'