XFree on solaris problems

Post by Greg Kellog » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

OK, can someone help me here? i have to problems:

1. if i try to run, say, admintool from root I get : Error: Can't open
display:
    what am I doing wrong???  how can I fix it?

2. If i run admintool from a users window it opens but i get errors like
this in my terminal window:

    Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>F1,_Key_Help" to type
VirtualBinding

what the hell does that mean???

thanks in advance for your help!

gk

XFree on solaris problems

Post by Aleksandar Milivojevi » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> OK, can someone help me here? i have to problems:

> 1. if i try to run, say, admintool from root I get : Error: Can't open
> display:
>     what am I doing wrong???  how can I fix it?

> 2. If i run admintool from a users window it opens but i get errors like
> this in my terminal window:

>     Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>F1,_Key_Help" to type
> VirtualBinding

> what the hell does that mean???

Try this (ksh, change syntax for other shells if needed):

# export DISPLAY=:0
# export OPENWINHOME=/usr/openwin

--

                  Opinions expressed herein are my own.
================================ooooO=Ooooo==============================

XFree on solaris problems

Post by Greg Kellog » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

OK, did it...  Now I get the same errors from user shell, but from root I
get a different error:

Xlib: connection to "unix:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Error: Can't open display :   :0

gk

>> OK, can someone help me here? i have to problems:

>> 1. if i try to run, say, admintool from root I get : Error: Can't open
>> display:
>>     what am I doing wrong???  how can I fix it?

>> 2. If i run admintool from a users window it opens but i get errors like
>> this in my terminal window:

>>     Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>F1,_Key_Help" to type
>> VirtualBinding

>> what the hell does that mean???

>Try this (ksh, change syntax for other shells if needed):

># export DISPLAY=:0
># export OPENWINHOME=/usr/openwin

>--

>                  Opinions expressed herein are my own.
>================================ooooO=Ooooo==============================
>  Real Users never know what they want, but they always know when your
>                       program doesn't deliver it.

XFree on solaris problems

Post by Aleksandar Milivojevi » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> OK, did it...  Now I get the same errors from user shell, but from root I
> get a different error:

OK, I guss that you logged in as user, and than you did a su to root?
Set HOME env variable to be the home directory of user.  Also, try
setting DISPLAY to unix:0 insted of :0.

--

                  Opinions expressed herein are my own.
================================ooooO=Ooooo==============================
  Real Users never know what they want, but they always know when your
                       program doesn't deliver it.

XFree on solaris problems

Post by Greg Kellog » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Yes, I do "SU".  Same prob, I am thinking of doing a recompile and
reinstall, see if I missed something... sound like a good idea?

gk

>> OK, did it...  Now I get the same errors from user shell, but from root I
>> get a different error:

>OK, I guss that you logged in as user, and than you did a su to root?
>Set HOME env variable to be the home directory of user.  Also, try
>setting DISPLAY to unix:0 insted of :0.

>--

>                  Opinions expressed herein are my own.
>================================ooooO=Ooooo==============================
>  Real Users never know what they want, but they always know when your
>                       program doesn't deliver it.

XFree on solaris problems

Post by Philip Bro » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>OK, did it...  Now I get the same errors from user shell, but from root I
>get a different error:

>Xlib: connection to "unix:0.0" refused by server
>Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
>Error: Can't open display :   :0

so you need to do

cp /home/userthatsloggedin/.Xauthority /

as root, and the 'problem' goes away.

(it isn't a problem, you're just not used to X 'security')

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

XFree on solaris problems

Post by Frank Rizz » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Sounds like you need to run /usr/openwin/bin/xhost <host>.

-LB

>OK, did it...  Now I get the same errors from user shell, but from root I
>get a different error:

>Xlib: connection to "unix:0.0" refused by server
>Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
>Error: Can't open display :   :0

>gk

>>> OK, can someone help me here? i have to problems:

>>> 1. if i try to run, say, admintool from root I get : Error: Can't open
>>> display:
>>>     what am I doing wrong???  how can I fix it?

>>> 2. If i run admintool from a users window it opens but i get errors like
>>> this in my terminal window:

>>>     Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>F1,_Key_Help" to type
>>> VirtualBinding

>>> what the hell does that mean???

>>Try this (ksh, change syntax for other shells if needed):

>># export DISPLAY=:0
>># export OPENWINHOME=/usr/openwin

>>--

>>                  Opinions expressed herein are my own.
>>================================ooooO=Ooooo==============================
>>  Real Users never know what they want, but they always know when your
>>                       program doesn't deliver it.

XFree on solaris problems

Post by hume.spamfil.. » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: Sounds like you need to run /usr/openwin/bin/xhost <host>.

Of course, that won't do anything if he does it AS root (as I'm sure he'll
take you literally).  Its also a bad idea.

A better solution is "cp ~username/.Xauthority ~root/.Xauthority".

--
Brandon Hume    - hume -> bofh.halifax.ns.ca, http://www.bofh.halifax.ns.ca/
                - Finger for Geek codes, PGP, /dev/zero, yadda yadda.

XFree on solaris problems

Post by Greg Kellog » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

cool, I will give it a shot, where is this documented????

gk

>>OK, did it...  Now I get the same errors from user shell, but from root I
>>get a different error:

>>--------------------------------------------

>>Xlib: connection to "unix:0.0" refused by server
>>Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
>>Error: Can't open display :   :0

>so you need to do

>cp /home/userthatsloggedin/.Xauthority /

>as root, and the 'problem' goes away.

>(it isn't a problem, you're just not used to X 'security')

>--
>[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
>"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

XFree on solaris problems

Post by Philip Bro » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>cool, I will give it a shot, where is this documented????

There is a poorly documented reference to this, in the man page for xauth.

Quote:>>so you need to do

>>cp /home/userthatsloggedin/.Xauthority /

>>as root, and the 'problem' goes away.

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

XFree on solaris problems

Post by John D Groenve » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

xauth -f ~user/.Xauthority extract - ${DISPLAY} | xauth merge -
John