ANNON CVS in CHROOT environment

Post by Derek Benso » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Has anyone managed to set up annon cvs in a chroot environment on
solaris using pserver?

I can do all but transfer files.  Checkout fails with " no such device
or address"

Thanks Derek

Post by Rami Leht » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Has anyone managed to set up annon cvs in a chroot environment on
> solaris using pserver?

> I can do all but transfer files.  Checkout fails with " no such device
> or address"

I have managed to do that.
You will have create some device files in <chroot_path>/devices and
links to those in <chroot_path>/dev.

dev/zero dev/null and all other necessary ones.

Try to use chroot to change to that environment and then try to run
the cvs command. You can use truss from another window to try and see
what devices it tries to open. If you have setup an ftp server in
a chrooted environment you should feel right at home doing this.
It is a pretty same process.

Rami

1. "how-to" set up chroot environment for an AIX service -- say, cvs pserver?

Hello,

I've looked far n' wide (mostly with Google) to determine the
best/recogized way to set up a "chroot jail" for an exposed network
service, on AIX (5.1).  In particular, I am looking to set up
CVS pserver in a chroot jail, and any needed utilities (perl, sh,
etc) WITHOUT having to statically-link each utility in JAIL/bin.

Surely, someone has done this.  I've succeeded quite nicely with "cvsd"
controlling cvs-pserver on Linux 2.4, using the mount command to mount (ro)
/lib, /usr/lib, /usr/kerberos/lib etc under JAIL/lib, etc, for all
the shared libraries dirs required.

I am using "dump" to help me determine what shared libs are needed, but
this is kinda tedious.  I've tried NFS-mounting /lib etc. under JAIL/, but
this doesn't seem to be working:

   chroot JAIL bin/cvs --version   # bombs out immediately

Is there an IBM white paper on this topic?  I can't be the only guy who's
tried this, and then succeeded.  :^)

Thank you! in advance,
----mark

2. Linux Internet Guru Needed for Publishing Project

3. Running chroot applications in a chroot environment

4. mother boards needed

5. chroot Environment and hostnames

6. OpenBSD 3.0 install disk fails to boot

7. syslog and processes in a chroot environment

8. SoundBlaster 16 and Redhat 5.0

9. Restricting server sockets inside a chroot environment

10. tr does not work in chroot environment!

11. How to run chroot environment on Solaris 2.5.1?

12. Running programs in a chroot environment

13. A chroot environment link to the root filesystem