PCFileViewer for solaris, Worth it?

Post by mosch.. » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00

on the Sun site at:
http://access1.sun.com/Products/solaris/PCFileViewer/pcvdownload.html
there is a free utility called PC File Viewer 1.0.
Is anyone here using this and like it?

It's pretty big to download at about 15Meg, some people at my work want to
use it (me too) to read MS Word documents that
other people insist sending us that we have to read.

We have a wincenter machine that we can ftp the *doc files to and then
view in real MS Word... this is kind of a pain (but is nice since it
allows for good printing).
Most of us are receiving these doc files as attachments in
pine mailer in Solaris/CDE desktop.  When I simply want to
read the content fast, I usually use the unix strings functions. It's too
bad that sun doesn't put a readme on the page with the pcv_install.bin
file, because then there's no way to figure out what it does without
downloading the whole thing to get the readme files in it.
thanks
Mark

Post by Eberhard Burka » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>It's too
>bad that sun doesn't put a readme on the page with the pcv_install.bin
>file, because then there's no way to figure out what it does without
>downloading the whole thing to get the readme files in it.

Look at http://wwwwswest2.sun.com/desktop/products/software/pcviewer.html
If you want to use it with Solaris 2.5.1, some days ago there were some informations in
this newsgroup.

Eberhard

Post by Rob Fu » Sat, 15 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>on the Sun site at:
>http://access1.sun.com/Products/solaris/PCFileViewer/pcvdownload.html
>there is a free utility called PC File Viewer 1.0.
>Is anyone here using this and like it?

I currently use it on the rare occasions that people send me Word
documents.  It lets me see what's there, but in my experience the
fonts and formatting seem a bit off somehow.  The biggest deficiency
is that there's no way to export to another format (you can't even
print).  The best you can do is copy&paste.

On my system, it takes just under 9 MB.

Another solution that might work (though I haven't tried it yet) is
MSWordView.  http://www.csn.ul.ie/~caolan/docs/MSWordView.html
There are links to some other packages there too.

--

The Ohio State University
University Technology Services / Workstation Support

1. solaris 2.4 hangs + solaris 2.5 worth upgrading?

Hello, we have a sparcstation 20 that keeps hanging about every two
weeks running solaris 2.4. I did most of the bundled bug patches, and
somehow there seems to be a memory leak. It starts thrashing more
and more until it hangs.

We run OW3.0 that came with it and about the only thing besides
that that is running is mailx, xterm, and some of the other regular
stuff (clock, filetool, etc.). Sometimes programs are compiled
using Sun's C compiler (not gnu c), but compilation is short and
doesn't cause thrashing (at least not directly). We do import/export
nfs mounting but nothing fancy. Oh, we also run netscape 1.1 for
solaris2.

Is 2.5 any better? Should we upgrade?

Please email to me if you have experience with 2.5 good or bad
compared to older versions. Thank you.

+-------- Jong-Min Park -=?B?EUC-KR?udrBvrnO?=-1?1?-----------

| Office: (608)-263-7784       266 ME Bldg
+-------- University of Wisconsin - Madison

2. Linux startup from ZIP ? possible ??

3. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

4. ppp connected, but no IP, DNS, GW

5. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

6. following happens when I try to run kpackage

7. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

8. HOW: DSL to AIX rs/6000 setup HELP!

9. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

10. Solaris9 PCfileviewer cannot install

11. PCfileviewer

12. PCFileviewer

13. Q:Suns PCFileViewer and Openwin