SMC 8432T PCI in x86. Mem Address Change

SMC 8432T PCI in x86. Mem Address Change

Post by Geoffrey Fish » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Am having trouble configuring my new SMC 8432T under Solaris 2.5.1.  I
installed the OS using an SMC ISA card, the 8416.  No trouble, Solaris
saw it.

Now I've swapped out cards for the PCI version, and Solaris doesn't
see the new adapter.  Notably, the HCL supports the card, but I've
read *somewhere* recently that the card must be configured to use a
memory range between C8000 and DE000.  The card ships at E0000.  The
EZstart utility won't alter that setting.  SMC says that my PCI Bios
has to do the work.  But, in my Asus P6NP5 m/b, I can only force the
interrupt on that slot.

I can tell Win95 to force the card to D0000, though once re-booted, it
defaults back to E0000.

Any way to force the Mem address prior to Solaris startup? Or within
Solaris itself?  I've looked through /platform/x86/dev/kernal/smc.conf
but that appears to apply to SMC's ISA and MCA cards only.

Post by Charles Stephen » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

 GF> Am having trouble configuring my new SMC 8432T under Solaris
 GF> 2.5.1.  I installed the OS using an SMC ISA card, the 8416.  No
 GF> trouble, Solaris saw it.

 GF> Now I've swapped out cards for the PCI version, and Solaris
 GF> doesn't see the new adapter.  Notably, the HCL supports the card,
 GF> but I've read *somewhere* recently that the card must be
 GF> configured to use a memory range between C8000 and DE000.  The
 GF> card ships at E0000.  The EZstart utility won't alter that
 GF> setting.  SMC says that my PCI Bios has to do the work.  But, in
 GF> my Asus P6NP5 m/b, I can only force the interrupt on that slot.

 GF> I can tell Win95 to force the card to D0000, though once
 GF> re-booted, it defaults back to E0000.

 GF> Any way to force the Mem address prior to Solaris startup? Or
 GF> within Solaris itself?  I've looked through
 GF> /platform/x86/dev/kernal/smc.conf but that appears to apply to
 GF> SMC's ISA and MCA cards only.

This is all BS.  What you need to do is make sure you are at DU5.  Get
distribution disks and install the patches and do a 'b -r' at the
secondary boot promt.  Every is automagic with PCI.

cfs
--

Software Engineer                 =
Solaris Network Sustaining        = "Take only as directed.  If rash develops,

SMC 8432T PCI in x86. Mem Address Change

Post by Bruce Adler [Contracto » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> ...  Every is automagic with PCI.

Almost everything, with one MAJOR exception: IRQ conflicts with ISA
cards.  Most motherboard BIOSes are smart enough to avoid conflicts
with the RAM/ROM and I/O ports used by ISA cards but there's no way to
automagically avoid IRQ conflicts between PCI and ISA devices.  If you
don't correctly configure all your ISA cards in your motherboard BIOS
then you almost always end up with a PCI device trying to share an IRQ
with an ISA device (and that trick never works). Some of the Solaris
x86 drivers won't initialize correctly if interrupt delivery doesn't
work (some of the drivers even hang your system while booting).

BA

1. Settings for SMC Etherpower (8432T) 32-bit PCI combo

I am trying to get Linux installed on my system, and my SMC Etherpower
(8432T) 32-BIT PCI combo is not working.  I connect up using BNC.  I
know the card works, and have gotten Windows95 working.  I did have
problems with WindowsNT, but my real concern is with Linux.  I really
want to set the system up as a server.  The only thing I can find on
the Linux end was the statement that if the ethernet card is not
recognized I can set the parameters irq, base address, mem_start, and
mem_end.  Would anyone be able to tell me the settings of these
variables for this card? Any information you can give will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.
-- John

2. insmod ip_tables woes

3. SMC-8432T Ethernet card support?

4. misdetection of pentium2 - very strange

5. SMC 8432T problems - please help

6. question about IPC limit settings for Solaris Message Queues and other oddities

7. Can't get SMC 8432T NIC to work in 6.2

8. Bootable cd on x86.

9. Dnet driver (x86) can't find SMC 8432 PCI network adapter, why?

10. smc-ultra module loads but base address changes in ifconfig

11. I/O address changes on SMC card

12. change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?

13. Running linux entirely in PCI address space on x86 platform.