inetd and telnetd port bind failure

Post by Hugh A. Smi » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 06:22:02

On E250 with Solaris 8 (and and e250 with Solaris 7) after restarting
inetd, binding fails on the telnet port. Netstat reports that the port
is bound (and there seems to be no way to get it unbound besides rebooting).

Found a report of a similiar problem on 2.5.1 ... the suggested fix was to
down and up the interfaces involved which didn't seem to work on this occasion.
It still looks like a reboot is the only way to fix it...

Any other suggestions.

Hugh

inetd and telnetd port bind failure

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:55:06

Quote:> On E250 with Solaris 8 (and and e250 with Solaris 7) after restarting
> inetd, binding fails on the telnet port. Netstat reports that the port
> is bound (and there seems to be no way to get it unbound besides rebooting).

1)  Why are you restarting inetd?

Quote:> Found a report of a similiar problem on 2.5.1 ... the suggested fix was to
> down and up the interfaces involved which didn't seem to work on this occasion.
> It still looks like a reboot is the only way to fix it...

2) Does netstat -an | grep 23 show any active telnets?  I have a vague
   memory of that problem under 2.5.1.  My (fuzzy) memory is suggesting
   that waiting some period of time allowed inetd to bind to the port
   eventually.  (don't trust me on that, though).

      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

inetd and telnetd port bind failure

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 20:44:17

Quote:>On E250 with Solaris 8 (and and e250 with Solaris 7) after restarting
>inetd, binding fails on the telnet port. Netstat reports that the port
>is bound (and there seems to be no way to get it unbound besides rebooting).

How do you restart inetd?  W/ "pkill -HUP inetd" or do you kill
the process completely?  You should use -HUP only.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. port binding shell failure

G'day,...

The problem lays like this... I have found various C source files that
create a port binding shell in a stripped/simplified manner... All of the
code compiles without any problems and executes ok. Using netstat, I find
that a port opens up for listening, but upon connecting to the port on
localhost, the /bin/sh seems to fail...even though the connection remains
established... the error is reported as such:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
whoami
: command not found
ls
: command not found

Why this happens, I do not know...
The attachment is the simplified source code that is used for this process.
Any help solving the problem would be appreciated...

Steve...

--
"The more one reads and learns, the less the other person knows" SolarIce (c) 2002

  daemon1.c
< 1K Download

2. Removing PLIP?

3. Startup failure: Could not bind to port - Address already in use ???

4. WWW and NNTP server

5. HTTPd: could not bind to port 80 bind: Address already in use

6. GET x HTTP/1.0?

7. Problem with modem

8. bind daemons even on udp-ports (squid, bind, dhcpd, samba)

9. Help: httpd: could not bind to port 80 bind: Permission d

10. inetd, ftpd, and telnetd

11. Need Inetd and/or Telnetd Source

12. Is inetd as vulnerable as telnetd?