VRTS Hot relocation/sparing.

Post by Sanja » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:39:51

I want for disable hot relocation, and enable hot sparing,
*without* rebooting. In botom of /etc/init.d/vxvm-recover
script are two entries somewhat like that:

vxrelocd root
# to enable hot sparing instead of hot relocation.
# ( comment out vxrelocd before uncommenting vxspare )
# vxsparecheck root

Well, I be able to coment out vxrelocd, and uncoment vxsparecheck,
but how doing I change from one for the other without rebooting?
Does anyone know whether it does be OK for kill vxrelocd and just
run vxsparecheck?

VRTS Hot relocation/sparing.

Post by Darren Dunha » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 04:41:44

Quote:> I want for disable hot relocation, and enable hot sparing,
> *without* rebooting. In botom of /etc/init.d/vxvm-recover
> script are two entries somewhat like that:

> vxrelocd root
> # to enable hot sparing instead of hot relocation.
> # ( comment out vxrelocd before uncommenting vxspare )
> # vxsparecheck root

> Well, I be able to coment out vxrelocd, and uncoment vxsparecheck,
> but how doing I change from one for the other without rebooting?
> Does anyone know whether it does be OK for kill vxrelocd and just
> run vxsparecheck?

I don't see any problem doing that.  They're just daemons that look for
failures...

You could try asking on the Veritas mailing list for more opinions..

Darren Dunham

1. Disksuite - Removing a Hot spare

How do you go about removing a hot spare which is in use ?
i.e. Disassociating it from the submirror that it is now
part of.

I basically want to return the disk to it's associated Hot Spare
pool, detach the submirror it was part of, and then build a new
submirror from some spare disks.

N.B. I don't want to use the spare disks as Hot spares.

Thanks a lot.

2. Solaris Kernel Tuning : rlim_fd_max question

3. Can hot spare be added after metadevices were created ?

4. SIGPIPE and socket

5. DiskSuite + Hot Spare

6. Unix nTalk

7. Veritas Mirroring (Hot Spare Problems)

8. Q: Background jobs.

9. Hot spare when both submirrors fails (DiskSuite 4.2)?

10. hot spare system

11. adding a hot spare to a RAID5 device...

12. Is a hot spare disk needed for disk mirroring?

13. SSA Hot Spares not in loop