I'm not a unix administrator (he's off sick!) and I'm out of my depth
so I'd appreciate any help anyone could offer on the following problem.
We have an NFS set-up :- both servers and clients are running Solaris
9. "Casual" use of the NFS mount looks ok - we can create/edit/delete
files etc. However we have a 3rd party application which will hang
when writing to the NFS mount. I've traced the system call and it
looks like this:
fcntl(259, F_SETLK, 0xFFFFFFFF7FFF8FC8) (sleeping...)
It sleeps forever (or until it is killed).
Oddly, I've noticed that if I add a new entry in /etc/hosts on the
server which included the UNqualified hostnames of the clients, and
then re-export the filesystems, this seems to work ok. However, the
normal situation - fully qualified names resolved by DNS - doesn't work
for this particular system call. We can probably live with this
workaround but it seems a bit "hacky" and was wondering if anyone could
explain what was going on.