news server recommendations

Post by Al Roethlisberg » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I am building a news server on a SparcServer 20 running Solaris 2.5.
We currently have nearly 10000 customers accessing our system.  If
anyone has had experience with a similar situation, I would appreciate
it a great deal if the following questions could be considered:

What news server applications are recommended?  We currently run INN
on our news systems, but are curious if there is a better or more
recommended solution.  If INN is recommended, what is the most stable,
feature rich version?

What determines the number of sockets that the news server application
allows users to connect to.  This is probably just a function of the
operating system itself, but I am unsure.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Al Roethlisberger

Post by Francois Forste » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I am building a news server on a SparcServer 20 running Solaris 2.5.
> We currently have nearly 10000 customers accessing our system.  If
> anyone has had experience with a similar situation, I would appreciate
> it a great deal if the following questions could be considered:

> What news server applications are recommended?  We currently run INN
> on our news systems, but are curious if there is a better or more
> recommended solution.  If INN is recommended, what is the most stable,
> feature rich version?

INN1.4unoff4 is a good choice since it is full featured and has all the
needed security patches.

Quote:

> What determines the number of sockets that the news server application
> allows users to connect to.  This is probably just a function of the
> operating system itself, but I am unsure.

If you are using INN and you are concerned with the number of readers,
there is no socket limit since the readers are handed off to nnrpd
(another process).
The real limitation is in your memory size. Calculate how much memory
you have left when no readers are connected. See how much your nnrpd
process takes in memory and divide the two. That should give you a good
approximate of the max number of concurrent readers you can have.
That is, of course, if the number of processes per userid is sufficient
(OS parameter).

If you wish to discuss the details offline you are welcome to email me.

Francois Forster.
Bluestone Consulting Inc.

Post by Steve Col » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> We currently have nearly 10000 customers accessing our system.  If

Cool.  Ow.

Quote:> What news server applications are recommended?  We currently run INN
> on our news systems, but are curious if there is a better or more
> recommended solution.  If INN is recommended, what is the most stable,
> feature rich version?

INN v1.4unoff4 is a good choice.  I have a 'magic build' which seems to be
working very, very well under S2.5 (up to 60 nnrpd clients at once on a
Pentium 133 with 96MB RAM and 11GB storage).

My version runs MMAP'd which means that it needs about 20MB of free memory
for the inn daemon but it runs very quickly.  It runs *much* more quickly
now that Sun has released patches 103169 and 103447 - odd that these bug
fixes make such a difference over ethernet.

Quote:> What determines the number of sockets that the news server application
> allows users to connect to.  This is probably just a function of the
> operating system itself, but I am unsure.

You can set this as a command line parameter with INN.

The main thing to remember with any news server is that you need that
fastest I/O and the most memory you can afford.  If I had my way, we'd be
running 256MB on our server (probably will) and a SPARCStorage Array
(probably will).  Processor speed only counts for so much with news.

Cheers,
Steve      |President & Systems Administrator,  Kingston Online Services

           |(e pluribus unix)   3xT-1!   URL: http://www.kosone.com/kos/
           |Business and Education partners in SouthEastern Ontario 1993->

           |"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the

Post by Dan Strombe » Wed, 24 Jul 1996 04:00:00

<> What determines the number of sockets that the news server application
<> allows users to connect to.  This is probably just a function of the
<> operating system itself, but I am unsure.
<>
<
<If you are using INN and you are concerned with the number of readers,
<there is no socket limit since the readers are handed off to nnrpd
<(another process).
<The real limitation is in your memory size. Calculate how much memory
<you have left when no readers are connected. See how much your nnrpd
<process takes in memory and divide the two. That should give you a good
<approximate of the max number of concurrent readers you can have.
<That is, of course, if the number of processes per userid is sufficient
<(OS parameter).

...but be sure to account for shared code and shared data, between
nnrpd's.

Post by Charles Buec » Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I am building a news server on a SparcServer 20 running Solaris 2.5.
>We currently have nearly 10000 customers accessing our system.  If
>anyone has had experience with a similar situation, I would appreciate
>it a great deal if the following questions could be considered:

I would use INN. Stable and fast.

Quote:>Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Remember, by news, the problems is by I/O subsystem.
For so much users, I would buy two Fast-Wide SCSI controllers,
with two 2-Gigs disk on each. With Solstice Disksuite, stripe
all this together using a small block size ( < 16 Kb ).

This would give you one 8-Gig partition. If you need
/ can afford reliability, buy everything twice, and
mirror it.

256 Mbytes RAM should be fine.

connect it with 100Mb net

disable unneeded processes (routed, sendmail, NFS, X, ...)

My 2ct worth...

Charles
---
Charles Bueche
http://home.worldcom.ch/~cbueche
IK24, Swiss Telecom, Bern, Switzerland

Post by Matus Uhl » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

-> >Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
->
-> Remember, by news, the problems is by I/O subsystem.
-> For so much users, I would buy two Fast-Wide SCSI controllers,
-> with two 2-Gigs disk on each. With Solstice Disksuite, stripe
-> all this together using a small block size ( < 16 Kb ).

I use filesystem with 4kb blocks, 0.5 kb fragments, 2kb/inode 2% minfree,
optimalization of time. it saves space and doesn't get too much time.
The news spool should be very fast...

-> disable unneeded processes (routed, sendmail, NFS, X, ...)

:-))) don't do it...i use NFS on my news server (i use oter machines for
some programs, i don't have everything on my machine.
sendmail should be running if newsadmin gets mail from somewhere...
routed is needed if you have more than one router on your net.

--
 Matus Uhlar, sysadm at Regional node of SANET in Kosice, Slovakia

 The 3 biggest disasters: Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95

Post by Charles Buec » Tue, 30 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>-> disable unneeded processes (routed, sendmail, NFS, X, ...)
>:-))) don't do it...i use NFS on my news server (i use oter machines for
>some programs, i don't have everything on my machine.
>sendmail should be running if newsadmin gets mail from somewhere...
>routed is needed if you have more than one router on your net.

What I wanted to say here is to maximize available RAM
to the news server processes. If you need routed, leave it !
Same with other system stuff !

If the server is an old workstation, definitely avoid to
run X at all !

Charles
---
Charles Bueche
http://home.worldcom.ch/~cbueche
IK24, Swiss Telecom, Bern, Switzerland

1. News server recommendation

Hi,

I'm new to administering NNTP under Linux.

I am looking for a news server product(s) (gnu, shareware, or commercial)
that has the following features:

1. A regular NNTP / Usenet server that service traditional NNTP news reading
clients that runs on RedHat.

2. A web page interface to the same server for users that do not have NNTP
clients

3. A way to password protect either the whole server, or each newsgroup, or
the web page interface.

4 (nice extra). It would be nice if the user authentication mechanism (web
page or built-in to NNTP server) could authenticate users over an LDAP
interface against a user list that was on a separate LDAP server.

Does anybody know of any such products or seen a similar configuration using
a combination of products?

Your advice is greatly appreciated,

David Jacobson

2. dhcpd offer ip to it's own interface?

3. Recommendations for news caching server

4. Library problems with ELF-Slakware 3.0

5. Need: ISP News Server(INN) Hardware Recommendations

6. Need help designing system

7. WTD: recommendations for robust news server

8. Taskbar obscures full-screen xterm.

9. looking for news server & client recommendation

10. Any recommendations for a news server?

11. help:feeding news to local news server

12. Linux as a news server with C-news

13. Setting up a news server (C News or INN)